TechSpot

Nvidia's surprise announcement: a portable gaming console

By Julio Franco
Jan 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nvidia just surprised a whole bunch of people by announcing, of all things, a dedicated gaming handheld during the company's CES press conference. Based on the new Tegra 4 mobile chip, also announced at the show, it's code-named Nvidia Shield. There...

Read more

2. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Booster Posts: 283   +40

Project SHIELD... AWWWWW YEAAAHHHH.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,262   +1,551

Would that be an abbreviation for "Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division", "Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate", or "Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division"?

WOW nVidia is expanding. :)

ETF Soldier likes this.
  4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 907   +241

A poll taken by Steam shows the majority game with GTX (no surprise there given thier stability with games old and new) so to see them team up with Steam, well, isn't a surprise. And my gaming laptop is my portable console!

5. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA TS Rookie Posts: 51   +9

That's interesting, I'm hoping they succeed, love my EVGA GTX 570. Gotta say it is kind of ugly tho, maybe that's not the final design.

6. I really wish OUYA project went with Tegra4 instead of Tegra3 ... Let's hope there will be Tegra4-based OUYA2 coming out in the near future, hopefully with all the interface options of this "Shield" (MicroSD, HDMI, USB) and the same $99 price tag.

7. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 408   +79

Wonder if it will take off.

8. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

Agreed, it does look kind of ugly. However, I love the fact that it has an mSD slot and the usb and hdmi ports.

9. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

As cool as it sounds, I detect failure. The price alone, unless it ends up really cheap, will drive the average consumer away. We don't need another portable gaming device, just better ways to implement what we've got.

10. Does it not just do that so I could play my pc games on any tv in the house or on the pad via this pad? now pair that with your internet connection and be able stream play games off your pc anywhere with a decent internet connection and tv or just the pad plus all the apps android has to offer very tempting if it can do just that

11. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Keep in mind that the ONLY reason this hardware is Tegra4 is because it is coming straight from the manufacturer. If you had your wish, the OUYA team would have had to wait till now for even a possibility of getting a Tegra4 to design their first iteration around, rather than being just a few months from releasing a finished product. Sometimes you have to run with what you have available now, if you want to be a pioneer instead of just running with a crowded pack.

12. dcnc123

dcnc123 TS Member Posts: 52

What the.... :D love it... bring it on.... you can have my money... :D

13. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,063   +919

This is kinda cool. but seeing the deterioration of the Nintendo DS does not help.

14. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Aimed at PC gamers but no mouse control? Hmm.

15. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Oh no the grey in his hair is showing!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.