TechSpot

Oblivion Help!!

By kkfusion
Apr 15, 2006
  1. Hey, I know theres a bunch of guides out there for this I know, but I'd greatly appreciate any more help.

I need to know how increase my frame rate on elder scrolls IV oblivion cause its lagging real bad. As far as video cards go I'm using a Geforce FX 5200 256mb.

As for RAM I've got 1gig and for my processing speed I have 3.00 ghz

I'd also appreciate any tips on making it run not so how should I say laggy?

Thanks!

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

3. Dennis_84

Dennis_84 TS Rookie Posts: 101

Your video card is very old so you should upgrade your video card and you will get better FPS.
    Oblivion requires very high-tech machine, and with fx5200, you defenately not going to get good FPS.

4. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

But the rest of your machine seems pretty decent.

Do you know if the 5200 is PCI or AGP?

5. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

The biggest slow downs in Oblivion with the FX series are from the shaders and lack of fillrate/bandwidth. There's really not much you can do to help. It's already a "hack" just to get the game to work as it needs to remove much of the engine assets just to play.

If you do have an AGP slot, you can get a cheap card that will be 10x better for like roughly $50 USD at NewEgg. You should consider this option as it will help ALL games, not just Oblivion.

6. DaProffessaT34

DaProffessaT34 TS Rookie Posts: 39

Its the video card. I know a kid who has that game and he has a 5800 nividia and on the lowest setting it sucks horibley. And he also has a 1gb of RAM. I'd recomend get a really good video card. Like a 6800 (256mb).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.