TechSpot

Occasional Taskbar Freeze

By Luminax
Nov 20, 2006
  1. Hi guys! I'm new to this board and I apologize for jumping direct to asking about matters. As I have it, my taskbar/toolbar keeps freezing at random interval and occurence, and when it does happen, I cannot ctrl+alt+del, open any new program (existing open program still works if you alt-tab to them, just loads up a bit slow), can't shutdown or restart the PC, and any application running in background, although running, will not be accessible (unless there's a hotkey that can minimize/maximize them).

So here I am wondering if any of you have ever experienced this or know what could be wrong.

System :

P4 2.8C
    RAM 768MB
    ATI Radeon 9600SE
    Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
    D-Link NIC

2. Luminax

Luminax TS Rookie Topic Starter

*bump* for great justice and help

3. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 697

You need to upgrade to SP2

Run AVG spyware,AntiVirus and check the link Howard has posted in the security thread for destroying other nasties

4. Luminax

Luminax TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've checked quite a few times for nasties and even though I have a lot of "dormant" viruses in zips I downloaded, they're never activated, I'm careful enough around my ways. What puzzled me was, this only happened recently after a series of blackout that renders even my UPS unable to cope (our house wiring had a nasty burn) so I was wondering if this is due to a bad sector that hinders the OS functioning and stability ?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.