OC'ing Asus P5G41C-M to 3.0Ghz

EXCellR8

I'm having a hard time getting my new HTPC running at the desired speed of 3Ghz. The board supports an FSB of 1333mhz and I'm also using 1333mhz DDR3 RAM. The processor is my old Q6600 (G0) from my previous build, in which I kept it clocked at 3.2Ghz for at least 2 years, stable. With this build, I can't even get to 3G without the system completely freezing whilst booting the OS.

I know it's not the memory because I have put in the manufacturer spec voltage and timings in manually ( 8-8-8-24 with a voltage of 1.5v for reference). Now, when I set the FSB to 333x9 the computer hangs up at the Win7 load screen, even with the vcore raised to ~1.3v; the same thing happens with a CMOS ratio/multiplier of 8. I don't get it... 3Ghz should be doable with this board but I can't seem to get there. I've also raised the volts on the NB a tad and that didn't have any affect on the hanging at all. Any help?

You're going to need a little more than 1.3volts there buddy, especially if its an earlier model of the 6600. As long as you have decent cooling, I'd keep bumping the cpu voltage by .01 until it doesn't hang.

^When the chip was clocked @ 3.2Ghz on my Rampage (X48) the voltage was only ~1.32v and I had no problems at all. I realize that this is completely different board but it supports 1333mhz and I know the CPU is capable of at least 3.0Ghz, so that's why I'm confused. I've bumped the voltage on the core to 1.4v and it still hangs. This chip has taken 400x8 like nothing so I don't understand why 1333 FSB is not working. My guess is the board is just being stubborn but I'd really like to get this thing to 3.0Ghz...

Guess I will just try a few more things and then update with the results. I know the board isn't good for overclocking but like super said it should be able to run 1333 FSB; the RAM is working fine with the manual timings.

Back