TechSpot

October chip sales up 5.1%, yearly figures looking better than expected

By Matthew
Nov 30, 2009
  1. According to data from the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), worldwide chip sales rose 5.1% to $21.7 billion in October from September. October is historically a strong month for the semiconductor industry, and improvements were seen in all geographic regions. Europe reportedly grew the most, with a 7.5% sequential increase .

Read the whole story

2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

well atleast we are starting to see the recession slow down and come back to normal but if only other things would come back to normal :(

3. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I hope things go back to normal. Companies can manufacture more chip which mean lower prices and more sales.

4. rgdot

rgdot TS Rookie Posts: 16

Windows 7 and others like Snow Leopard pushing out new computer sales? could be at least one catalyst.

5. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 TS Rookie Posts: 351

Heh, I contributed to that number this last weekend. i5, here I come!

6. Heretic

Heretic TS Rookie Posts: 37

I'm not surprised. After a recession like the one we had, the only real way to go is back up. New technology is only part of it. It has to be priced affordably. The new cores are looking pretty awesome though. I'd want one even if at the prices they're at right now.

7. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TS Enthusiast Posts: 239   +11

Well...THAT'S some good news. It's about darn time too. We're still sort of where we were about 10 years ago in the 90s in terms of the stock market in general, but at least it looks like things are on the way back up.

8. TechDisciple

TechDisciple TS Rookie Posts: 41

errr... Chip sells go up, I just hope jobs go up as well :\

9. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 997   +32

It's good that chips sold well. How did fish sell?

I wonder what chips make the bulk of the sales.

10. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TS Enthusiast Posts: 140

This is not really surprising , people love to buy these kind of things now that technologies are getting more and more advanced ;)

11. Razerblade

Razerblade TS Rookie Posts: 117

At the moment companies are now showing that sales are going up but jobs are still going down!

12. BlackIrish

BlackIrish TS Rookie Posts: 84

It must be because of Atom :p

13. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

People just love to mess with technology, even with the recession.

14. timljh

timljh TS Rookie Posts: 33

the chip sales up but why is it the economy still the same T_T

15. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 855   +11

hopefully this is a good sign that things might level out and even begin to swing back up :p.

16. PUTALE

PUTALE TS Rookie Posts: 178

probably due to the good review from intel core i5.

17. claycc

claycc TS Rookie Posts: 43

My personal budget is still too tight to be considering hardware upgrades but it is good to hear glimpses of things getting better. Netbooks have become really popular with their cheap Intel Atom setup. AMD has also been offering a lot of solid CPUs for people on a tight budget.

18. ken777

ken777 TS Rookie Posts: 103

I hope semi mfgs start ramping production to meet this better than expected demand and overshoot so we have a supply glut again. DRAM and NAND flash prices have gone up a lot in the last 6-12 months. I like my memory and SSDs cheap!

19. buttus

buttus TS Enthusiast Posts: 187

The tech sector has been hit SO hard by this damned recession that any good news is a relief. At least things are improving and baby steps forward are better then none.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.