October chip sales up 5.1%, yearly figures looking better than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

According to data from the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), worldwide chip sales rose 5.1% to $21.7 billion in October from September. October is historically a strong month for the semiconductor industry, and improvements were seen in all geographic regions. Europe reportedly grew the most, with a 7.5% sequential increase .

Although October's figures exceeded expectations, sales were still down 3.5% on-year. For the first 10 months of 2009 chip sales were $180 billion, 16.6% less than the $215.8 billion recorded in 2008. That loss has been pinned on the weathered market -- though, SIA president George Scalise believes October's growth reflects an overall recovery of the global economy.

SIA expects 2009 sales to total $219.7 billion, a 11.6% decrease from 2008 -- yet more optimistic than the previously predicted decline of 21%.

Permalink to story.

well atleast we are starting to see the recession slow down and come back to normal but if only other things would come back to normal :(

I hope things go back to normal. Companies can manufacture more chip which mean lower prices and more sales.

Windows 7 and others like Snow Leopard pushing out new computer sales? could be at least one catalyst.

I'm not surprised. After a recession like the one we had, the only real way to go is back up. New technology is only part of it. It has to be priced affordably. The new cores are looking pretty awesome though. I'd want one even if at the prices they're at right now.

Well...THAT'S some good news. It's about darn time too. We're still sort of where we were about 10 years ago in the 90s in terms of the stock market in general, but at least it looks like things are on the way back up.

It's good that chips sold well. How did fish sell?

I wonder what chips make the bulk of the sales.

This is not really surprising , people love to buy these kind of things now that technologies are getting more and more advanced ;)

My personal budget is still too tight to be considering hardware upgrades but it is good to hear glimpses of things getting better. Netbooks have become really popular with their cheap Intel Atom setup. AMD has also been offering a lot of solid CPUs for people on a tight budget.

I hope semi mfgs start ramping production to meet this better than expected demand and overshoot so we have a supply glut again. DRAM and NAND flash prices have gone up a lot in the last 6-12 months. I like my memory and SSDs cheap!

The tech sector has been hit SO hard by this damned recession that any good news is a relief. At least things are improving and baby steps forward are better then none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back