TechSpot

Oculus VR acquires hand-tracking startup Nimble VR

By Shawn Knight
Dec 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The Oculus Rift has proven that the technology now exists to create a compelling virtual reality experience but it's far from perfect. The visuals are pretty much set; it's the rest of the puzzle that still needs putting together.

Read more

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

I loled when I saw minecraft in the video. You would wear your arms out in that! But hey, it's the next step to reality (besides having diamonds and what not IRL)

3. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +273

Cool. Another good step I think. Although I think most of the effort should be going into bringing our big gaming software companies onboard, rather than just providing a "dev kit". The gaming software companies really need to be interacting with the developers of the Oculus Rift, to get the best possible integration of this new technology in our future games.

While I certainly agree having your hands in your VR world is important, so is having a controller similar to what you will be controlling in the VR world. So a rifle controller, for example is still important and hopefully will continue to get developed.

I'm excited and hope to be fully immersed in FPS, racing, and flight sim games in 3-5 years time.

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,900   +528

It looks good, but I'm sure that Carmack, when he first saw this, said: "The input latency sucks, I can make it better!"
    It may seem like a joke, but it's exactly what he will do. That sub 40ms response time :D

5. SirGCal

SirGCal TS Maniac Posts: 365   +136

Probably the biggest reason people need stuff like this... getting fat behind a controller/keyboard. At least this will move SOMETHING...

6. Very impressive !
    looks and feels like the real deal
    cant wait for AAA gaming titles using this to come out

7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I keep seeing Minority Report UI when ever I see hand gestures. Even if MR looks unrealistic and cumbersome to use.

8. Not too interested in the hand tracking but I could see it being useful. Am interested in Oculus rift though when the consumer version hits. Imagine this with the next fallout or elder scrolls game! You listening Bethesda?