Oculus VR unveils "Crescent Bay" headset with 360-degree tracking, built-in headphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

oculus reveals crescent bay developer kit 360-degree head tracking headphones facebook gaming virtual reality oculus rift oculus vr

Oculus VR unveiled a revised version of its virtual reality headset during the Oculus Connect developer conference over the weekend. Dubbed Crescent Bay, the new headset adds integrated audio via built-in headphones as well as 360-degree motion tracking.

Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe was quick to point out that this is not the consumer version of the Oculus Rift nor is it a developer kit although it is much closer to it than anything we’ve seen thus far. Think of it as an internal prototype.

oculus reveals crescent bay developer kit 360-degree head tracking headphones facebook gaming virtual reality oculus rift oculus vr

He also noted that the leap between the Oculus Rift Developer Kit 2 and Crescent Bay is as significant as the jump from Developer Kit 1 to Developer Kit 2.

In addition to the built-in headphones and 360-degree tracking, the new visor is lighter and features better ergonomics – improvements that’ll no doubt reduce fatigue during lengthy gaming sessions. Oculus is using the same array of LED lights that were found on the Crystal Cove kit which helps track movements more accurately. The the screen resolution has once again been bumped up, we're told.

Early rumors suggest it could be the same 1440p display found in the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which certainly seems plausible given the fact that the two companies are now working together in the virtual reality space.

As evident by the integrated headphones (which aren’t mandatory; gamers can still use their own headphones if they choose), Oculus VR is dedicating a lot of resources to audio development.

As GameSpot notes, the company is developing its own audio tracking software that’ll help establish presence while in the virtual world. In fact, they’re working just as aggressively on this aspect as they are the visuals.

There's still no word yet on when we can expect to see a consumer version of the Rift.

Permalink to story.

With all the metallic inserts in this thing, it now really looks like a bondage muzzle.

Does it come with a gag though?

Is it just me or do those foam pads on the headset speakers look cheap and potentially uncomfortable?

Is it just me or do those foam pads on the headset speakers look cheap and potentially uncomfortable?

The whole thing looks like it was made in a garage by couple nerds. This is how Apple started, but even Apple 1 didn't look as ugly. And for a 2 billion investment in Oculus it is beyond excuses.

Looking at the latest Sony VR you get an idea of what a VR should look like as a modern consumer product, and put Oculus to shame.

Again, think about Apple - people do care a great deal about the product's aesthetics.

Below is the latest version from Sony (source)

2661933-morpheus.jpg

And here's their previous design...

sony_vr_helmet_1.jpg

I wouldn't even know where to begin when comparing how these look compared to Oculus, which does look like a muzzle.

Last edited:
Did you ever stop to think that we're being sandbagged on the design?

Keep in mind, Sony has an incentive to keep a strong hold on the gaming market. As such, the slick, pretty and sexy-looking device you put up as the counter-offering to the Crescent Bay is nothing more than a plastic shell.

"85% done" is a very long way from a consumer product when it comes to electronics. And they don't even have manufacturing capability yet. It has to be 100% done.

Oculus has been shipping operational products for most of 2014. And it works with any standard video output.

Meanwhile, Sony is shouting and waving their arms, saying, "Any day now!", and it will only be for PS4 users.

You can have your sexy vaporware. I'll take the combat-tested, field-ready product.

Sony VR does look good indeed, is it compared to Oculus? In terms of the actual immersion?

Why are people complaining about the design? this clearly was just something put together fast to show the new hardware. they don't have monkeys working on the design team.

Why are people complaining about the design? this clearly was just something put together fast to show the new hardware. they don't have monkeys working on the design team.
Uhh... haven't we been hearing about this product and its development for several years now? Just cause it isn't final release, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be trying for some kind of nice presentation of the device. They should really be researching product designs that will attract customers. Getting the device on people's head is about half the battle of selling it.

Keep in mind, Sony has an incentive to keep a strong hold on the gaming market. As such, the slick, pretty and sexy-looking device you put up as the counter-offering to the Crescent Bay is nothing more than a plastic shell.

The product hasn't been released yet to pass judgement on the quality of the materials and its content.

It takes both functional and aesthetic perfection to make a great success, not just one side. Apple products is the proof to that.

"85% done" is a very long way from a consumer product when it comes to electronics. And they don't even have manufacturing capability yet. It has to be 100% done.

And by looking at Oculus VR, I'd say it is 50% done at best. The definition of 100% seems to be very different between Sony and Oculus. The former knows what they are doing, almost 60 years on the market, versus a 5-minute off-spring, what else is there to say...

"As such, the slick, pretty and sexy-looking device you put up as the counter-offering to the Crescent Bay is nothing more than a plastic shell."
Having used both, the Morpheus beats the rift in every way imaginable. The fact that it's not built by facebook is just an added plus.

The product hasn't been released yet to pass judgement on the quality of the materials and its content.

It takes both functional and aesthetic perfection to make a great success, not just one side. Apple products is the proof to that.

And by looking at Oculus VR, I'd say it is 50% done at best. The definition of 100% seems to be very different between Sony and Oculus. The former knows what they are doing, almost 60 years on the market, versus a 5-minute off-spring, what else is there to say...

Unless you work for facebook how do you know how far along the project is and its completion rate?

So many people making assumptions without knowing any facts, this is not the horoscope. Go read the stars somewhere else. Everybody who used the new prototype say that it's amazing. You no longer see pixels and get motion sickness (at least not as easily as before) and the new demos are really fun and showcase the hardware really well. They also fixed the head tracking allowing you to move much more freely than before.

As for people complaining about facebook buying oculus, all you have to do is see how well instagram and whatsapp are doing. These guys know what they are doing when they make big purchases. Hating oculus because of the buyout is RETARDED.

Uhh... haven't we been hearing about this product and its development for several years now? Just cause it isn't final release, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be trying for some kind of nice presentation of the device. They should really be researching product designs that will attract customers. Getting the device on people's head is about half the battle of selling it.

Rubbish I say... I and many others don't really care how it looks as long as it is comfortable and does it's job. Sure the Sony unit looks pretty, but looks are a very small part of the battle when it comes to something you aren't going to be looking at anyway, you'll be immersed in a video game.

I like where this development is going, they are concentrating on the important stuff. The looks can and should be the last thing they worry about. As long as it performs well I bet it will sell itself. Myself and several other waiting with bated breath to buy the consumer version of the Oculus.

Back