TechSpot

Oculus VR will cancel your pre-order if you try to sell your Rift on eBay

By Shawn Knight
Jul 15, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Oculus VR developers, listen up. If you've pre-ordered the latest Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 and plan to make a quick buck by reselling it on eBay for a higher price before it ships your way, think again. Oculus VR...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,262   +1,551

Seems reasonable!!

3. Agreed

4. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 227   +54

It's obvious their intension was to make a huge profit, on something that wasn't in their hands already. Obviously it's going to be a question of, would such things be fair to all such orders not just Oculus. These are dev kits and not a public thing, so an easy thing to make a quick profit from.

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,064   +919

Definitely... if you put in the effort to get a dev kit, at least use it!

6. cliffordcooley

Well I think the point is if someone puts up a listing on eBay, then they are announcing how much they really didn't need the dev kit. And therefor the kit should go to someone else, that will actually use the kit as it was designed to be. Anyone thinking they will make a quick buck, is only standing in the way of progress.

And if you recall, the announcement in the beginning was that they were wanting to keep prices down as low as possible.

JC713 likes this.
  7. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,191   +246

To be honest if someone wants to spend a 500% premium when they can wait a extra few month to get one then let them, but I do agree it is wrong but still its like cancelling a phone contract because you only got the phone to sell when it got in your hands.

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,064   +919

Nice way to put it!

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,357   +808

Of course. These chumps probably aren't even developers, they're just scalpers out to make a quick and easy buck.

10. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 564   +11

But would they really be a quick buy? has anyone got there's yet? just wondering if its worth ordering one now or will it take like a year for them to get to me

11. cliffordcooley

Since Facebook bought them and money is no longer a limiting factor, do they actually need pre-orders to continue the project? Probably not, but then I don't know what their budget is. At this point, I think their main goal is getting feedback from developers and getting more games involved in VR. If you are not a developer, I'd say wait till a refined version is publicly released.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.