TechSpot

OCZ announces Synapse SSD series for caching

By Jos
Sep 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. OCZ has unveiled a new series of solid-state drives designed specifically for caching applications in an SSD/HDD hybrid storage setup. The new Synapse SSDs are limited to 64GB and 128GB…

Read the whole story

2. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

Cool. Caching is the future -- along with moving everything to flash ROM someday... with backup provided either by HDD or SSD.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

This is the most interested SSD idea i've seen so far... So many things my PC uses my HD for I don't really care if it's fast. Anything like Window's loading, app loading, large file copying... I don't care if it's slow. But game screen loading... that'd be nice to speed up.

4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Love it :) Lets hope its semi-affordable. I bet it'll run with the mainstream prices out today which is still a bit high for me. Lets hope Black Friday and Christmas sales bring out good deals on these items that are expensive today.

5. godrilla

godrilla TS Rookie

Is this technology exclusive to ocz? or are we going to see this with more companies with their own versions?

6. godrilla

godrilla TS Rookie

7. godrilla

godrilla TS Rookie

8. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Interesting idea. I think its success will depend on how much control the user has over the caching algoithm and how effective it is. If done well it could be really great as it could have all your small files on the SSD with larger ones (where sequential read speed vs access time is more important), on the HDD. Data Writing is always an issue with these setups though as that is pretty much completely dependent on the lowest speed device.

9. Holyscrap

Holyscrap TS Rookie Posts: 39   +12

64GB (32GB cache capacity): SYN-25SAT3-64G
    128GB (64GB cache capacity): SYN-25SAT3-128G

NOTE: Synapse Series features 50% NAND flash overprovisiong to accommodate performance and software features

OUCH! Just saw this at OCZ's website. (I wish there was a law or smthing that would make SSD makers only show the actual GB . this overprovisioning stuff really gets on my nerves)

10. SammyJames

SammyJames TS Enthusiast Posts: 168

Hmm... I'm unsure about that. For me, I need a fast-access storage device to play back streaming samples. The same COULD potentially be true of certain video editing platforms, although I am unsure about that as well.

Basically, anything that gets transferred to memory will of course have the highest priority when it comes to seek times, if I'm not mistaken. But basically, we're looking at an incredible system pretty much no matter what.

Right now, the fastest HD in my system is 7200 RPM with a 32 MB cache. Even a second-generation (SATA II) SSD can blow my little system off the grid. And the newest devices would eat my poor home-made rig for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacktime.

:)

At any rate, I'm not really picking a bone with you. I'm just musing on what you brought up.

- S

11. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

This is not new. This is a do-it-yourself hybrid hard drive kit.

12. @godrilla: That's an enterprise ssd. This is not.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.