TechSpot

OCZ brings big performance upgrade for old Vertex, Agility, Solid2 SSDs

By Jos
Mar 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. OCZ has released a new firmware update for its range of SSDs running Indilinx Barefoot controllers and 34 nm NAND flash. Specifically, Vertex, Agility and Solid2 drives made after December…

Read the whole story

2. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

Why are sizes reported differently in the two benchmarks?

3. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

oh nv. lol:
    The result is a loss of around 7% in usable storage capacity but better overall performance.

On that note, how do I delete a comment?

4. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 900   +239

The more free space you have with an SSD, the longer and faster it runs.
    I'll pass on this firmware update.

5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

I'm really impressed by OCZ releasing this firmware for it's old drives.
    Much better than Intel who did not backport TRIM support to the original X25-M drive.
    I of course understand their reasoning for not doing so.
    But a firmware update like this one released by OCZ sure warms the hearts of the early adopters / enthusiasts!

amstech: just to clarify the higher overprovisioning of this firmware is what increases speed and longlivity.
    It is also possible as a end-user to affect this by leaving some space on a SSD unpartitioned.
    Most SSD's will then see that and will use that unpartitionted space in it's over provisioning space pool, increasing longlivity aswell.

6. champmanfan

champmanfan TS Member Posts: 59

Very true amstech, had to upgrade from 120GB SSD Vertex 2e to another performance branded Sata3Gb/s 240GB due to capacity reaching 75% and performance suffering. After a few months I now have 223GB usable space with 128GB free space.

For so little space, if I had one of these SSDs I'd use it as a cache drive instead with a 3TB 7,200rpm HDD. Surely any of those SSDs listed are more than fast enough?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.