OCZ Enyo USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review

the Barefoot controller does support TRIM with its current (latest) firmware.

the question is, does Windows 7 trim removable solid state USB drives (i assume it would)? this is critical to any SSD, long-term. if using an OS with no native Trim (eg at work on vista or XP), you'll need to run a TRIM/refresh utility after swapping the drive back and forth between systems with and without TRIM enabled to maintain performance.

i use a removable drive for a lot of my work which requires many random 4k writes, i think the 10x speed boost in 4K writes just from it being SSD (nothing to do with USB 3.0) is a huge benefit and will reduce much lag associated with using portable software from removable flash drives.

Leon

You make a good point, does Windows 7's TRIM support also work on external SSD's such as the above reviewed? Has anyone got an external SSD and Windows and found this to be an issue?

I would assume not
TRIM is a function of the Microsoft made IDE or AHCI driver in Windows 7

I would assume the USB devices do not use that driver, but instead the USB Mass Storage Device Drivers and that these do not support TRIM

I'm just building a new system based on i7 and a Gigabyte GAX58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 mobo that has USB3 and SATA 3.0 and wondered if you can use this as a boot drive on USB3? Thanks

Just a quick feedback on using OCZ enyo USB 3.0 128GB. I bought this great external disk drive. It was very fast and worked fine for... 1 week, when the usb connector just broke off (never experienced that). No replacement or repair possible from OCZ, so my 247? drive is sitting useless on my desk.
:(

My OCZ Enyo 128GB SSD failed after one week of use. The computer did not recognize the drive anymore. I contacted OCZ and after about one week they declared my drive defective and agreed to replace the product. Unfortunately, I had already stored numerous confidential files on it. I was thus not prepared to return it since I did not want other people to have access to my data, in case OCZ could repair and read the drive.

I suggested that I would return it without the solid state memory chips, but they insisted that the whole drive had to be returned without any modification. They also had no advice on how I could clean the data off the drive.

The result is that I have totally wasted my money. So if you buy the Enyo SSD, make sure that you do not store any data on it that you are not prepared to share with others, in case you may want to return the drive.

I bought four of the Enyo 128gb drives when they first came out. I have rma'ed three of the four within three months and the fourth one just died on me. I literally found this article by looking for what's going on with the OCZ SSD's.

I will never buy another OCZ disk ever again...

Back