OCZ founder and CEO Ryan Petersen resigns effective immediately

Shawn Knight

Staff member

OCZ Technology founder and CEO Ryan Petersen has resigned from his position with the company effective immediately. Executive vice president and chief marketing officer Alex Mei will serve as Interim CEO as the company begins their search for a permanent replacement.

Petersen seemingly left on good terms and was quoted in a statement as saying he was pleased to have transitioned the company from a niche developer, manufacturer and seller of high-performance DRAM memory modules to an industry leader in the solid state storage market. Lead independent director Adam Epstein thanked Petersen for his contributions to the DRAM and SSD industries over the years and wished him and his family the best.

Mei has been with OCZ since 2004 and is highly regarded among his colleagues, employees and other industry professionals. The board of directors has extended their full confidence in him until a permanent CEO is hired.

"I'm honored that the Board has selected me to lead OCZ on an interim basis,” Mei said. “We have dedicated and talented employees, extremely competitive technology, and product roadmaps that we believe will enable us to continue to provide industry-leading solid state storage solutions to our growing customer base.”

It’s unclear exactly why Petersen decided to resign abruptly but Bright Side Of News believes that a number of missteps could have led to the ousting. Rumors surfaced in July that OCZ was in talks with Seagate and Micron about a potential buyout but those discussions have reportedly collapsed. The publication also cited poor fiscal performance as another possible reason for the founder’s departure.

OCZ will be hosting their fiscal 2013 second quarter conference call on October 10. Perhaps we will learn more about their plans for the future at that time.

Permalink to story.

For a CEO to leave with such haste, it's either a sexual assault case that he's trying to quieten or he knows something the rest don't and knows it's time to abandon ship.

Just speculating...

For a CEO to leave with such haste, it's either a sexual assault case that he's trying to quieten or he knows something the rest don't and knows it's time to abandon ship.
There has to be more reasons to resign than just those two alone.
  • Drug alcohol related issues.
  • Marital issues effecting job performance.
  • Death or illness in the family.
  • Tired of playing a competitive game.

OCZ makes great products, and Ryan basically brought this thing from a commodity memory module maker to a real players in SSD Drives, despite competition and doubts.

The picture is of the interim CEO, fyi, not of Ryan

Vertex 4 its a really good Performer its a tier 1 I fi have not tried their other products but that SSD its top quality

OCZ makes great SSDs and when they used to make RAM they were good too. I hope the change of command does not affect their quilty.

Just speculating...

Or a higher paycheck... although sexual assault makes for a much better rumor. I wonder if it has anything to do with him spending so much time with Kate Middleton.

CEOs get passed around like NFL coaches. For all we know the story next week will be that he just accepted a position with someone else.

Back