OCZ releases next-generation low-voltage DD3 memory

Emil

Staff

OCZ, one of the more high-end suppliers of advanced memory modules, has released two new series of DDR3 desktop memory with lowered voltage settings: Ultra-Low Voltage (ULV) and Extreme-Low Voltage (ELV). Lower voltage translates into both better power consumption (RAM will run cooler and more efficiently during intensive usage) as well as better results when overclocking.

The OCZ Platinum ELV 2GB DDR3 modules run at 1.35 volts and are available in 4GB and 6GB memory kits. The ULV products meanwhile, OCZ Gold and OCZ Reaper HPC, are available in 4GB DD3 versions (8GB dual-channel or 12GB/24GB triple-channel) and operate at 1.5 volts.

Both OCZ DDR3 ELV and ULV triple-channel and dual-channel memory kits are available in PC3-10666 (1333MHz) and PC3-12800 (1600MHz) speed ratings and either CL8 8-8-24 or CL9 9-9-24 latency settings. All three series of memory modules function far below the upper voltage threshold of Intel Core i3, i5, and i7 processors. Just like previous modules, the new products are equipped with proprietary Xtreme Thermal Convection (XTC) heat spreaders. Reaper ULV modules feature enhanced heat spreaders with a heat pipe. As always, all OCZ modules are backed by the OCZ Lifetime Warranty and technical support.

Other leading memory module manufacturers also offer devices with lowered nominal voltages but these products tend to be less popular than high-speed ones. Still, considering both Intel and AMD are planning on releasing "greener" platforms in the coming year, we're sure these low-voltage memory modules will soon also gain acceptance on the market.

Permalink to story.

Back