OCZ RevoDrive 110GB PCI-E SSD for €61?

nubki11a

Hello everyone,

I was just browsing the internet when I came across this:http://www.4launch.nl/shop/product/108304/-ssd-110gb--pci-express--revodrive/tweakers

1: What exactly is the difference between a PCI-E SSD and a 'normal' SSD?

2: Why is it so extremely cheap? I could only find others for about €200,-

3: I am building a new rig, and was previously going with the Crucial M4 64GB for about €90,-, will this RevoDrive be better/faster/slower/different?

4: Is this some crazy deal and should I buy it right away? I think 4Launch is a trusted website.

5:The motherboard that I will be getting is a ASRock Extreme3 Gen3, will it work properly?

PCI-Express SSD's fit in the PCI-Express slots (X4 for that one) on your motherboard. Standard SSD's are connected using SATA data connectors.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to use one of the PCIe 16x slots to power it, but wait for others to confirm.

Alright, do you think I should buy this product? As it is so cheap, it looks like a really good deal. I'm just unsure if there is a hidden problem or something like that.

Shouldn't be an issue. But like I said, wait for others to confirm whether it will work in PCIe 16x slots or not, as I'm not completely certain.

The price does look good, but I deal in £ sterling, not Euros.

It is about 52 pounds, and from what I can see on the website they are only compatible with PCIe 4x slots, as I don't see them mention anything about PCIe 16x slots. But would this be bad, as video cards use 16x and 6x slots right? So then a 4x slot would be better? Or doesn't each motherboard have PCIe 4x slots? This is what my motherboard will have:
- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4), or dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4)) (PCI Express 3.0 with Intel® Ivy Bridge CPU, PCI Express 2.0 with Intel® Sandy Bridge CPU)
- 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots
- 2 x PCI slots

It does say something about PCIE4, but not specifically PCIe 4x slots. Do you understand this? There is only one left apparently, so I'm trying to get to know as fast as possible before someone else nicks it ;)

Alright, thats nice. Can someone tell me if there are any downsides of using this SSD? As it is so cheap, I might not be able to get one as cheap as this ever... and there's only one left xD I just want to be sure I'm not buying this thing and gonna end up with something that isn't really good.

Dream on :)

When you combine these facts:
  1. There is a sudden price drop of 70%.
  2. Only 2 out of 16 stores follow adjust their prices.
  3. The product has become the most popular SSD on tweakers.net.
  4. None of the other products in the OCZ RevoDrive line-up have lowered prices.

Then the obvious conclusion is that the retailers have received incorrect information from the distributor.

There is a small chance that the product is being replaced by a newer model, but it's been on the market for only 7 months. Odds are that if you buy one you'll get an apology e-mail within a day.

That is true, it went out of stock somewhere the last hour anyway :( I'll call them tomorrow to ask if the price was correct and if so if they are going to restock it anytime soon... :(

Before the pricedrop the Crucial M4 was the most popular SSD on tweakers.net. You'll also find a large number of professional ssd reviews on this site, e.g. for the new Samsung line (search on tweakers for samsung 830).

With either choice you're good. As for the compatibility, your brand new motherboard should have no problem with these SSD drives.

Back