OCZ to begin mass producing its Z-Drive PCI-e SSD line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

After showing off their last generation Z-Drive back in January at CES, OCZ has finally announced plans to begin mass producing these absurdly fast and expensive storage devices. Geared towards enterprise use, the Z-Drive uses a PCI x8 interface, replaceable MLC NAND flash modules arranged in a RAID0 configuration for a 512GB to 2TB capacity range, up to eight Indilinx controllers, and features peak read and write speeds of up to 1.4GB/s.

Three different models will be available. The Z-Drive p84 R2 is due to debut with 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB capacities, peak read speeds of 850MB/s and sustained write speeds of 500MB/s. The m84 R2 sacrifices a little speed (800MB/s read, 750MB/s write, and 500MB/s sustained) for a large 2TB capacity, while the p88 R2 will also get you that much storage but with peak transfer rates of up to 1.4GB/s both reading and writing, as well as a sustained write speed of 950MB/s.

Pricing hasn't been disclosed yet, but we are guessing these will cost somewhere in the vicinity of an arm and a leg. At least businesses can take some comfort in the fact that the interchangeable NAND modules will make this SSD "field-serviceable and field-upgradeable" throughout its lifespan. The Z-Drive R2 comes with a 3-year warranty and, according to OCZ, will do well in tasks that involve virtualization, caching, and high-end storage.

Permalink to story.

Tekkaraiden said:
I though they had abandoned this concept when they released SSD drives. Glad to see they didn't.
These cards prove the SATA 6.0Gbps standard is a far too small step forward for a next gen.

hello ...

this is the future of storage, but price factor would make it for a niche market.

I can't wait to be a billionaire ;) ... i'll certainly have these in my future gaming rigs LOL!

cheers!

tizzlejack said:
Any speculation if the release of these will drive down the prices of SATA versions?
At the price i think they're going to sell i don't think they'll influence SATA drives at all.

Darth Shiv said:
*drool*... now *that* is a good boot drive :)

Yeah - lets see if that works first though. I havn't seen a PCIe based SSD that can be used as a boot drive yet - so i doubt this one will work for that. If it could that would be great though :)

compdata said:
Darth Shiv said:
*drool*... now *that* is a good boot drive :)

Yeah - lets see if that works first though. I havn't seen a PCIe based SSD that can be used as a boot drive yet - so i doubt this one will work for that. If it could that would be great though :)

Guess i have to correct myself - it looks like these are planed to be bootable. Pays to check first :)

Are some of you having a laugh, 10k is a bloody lot. I can't even find the money to buy all the components for a 3k computer system.

10k for 1 component, wow, i guess some of you on here much be loaded. I wonder what life is like for those who can a component like this for 10k.

Only $10,270? That's pretty cheap. I thought it would cost at least $10,271.

You know... This product reminds me of my old trusty Amiga, and how I could partition the memory to a RAD: recoverable RAM drive and throw the OS on that for near-instant boots and reboots... Oh, those were the days!

I can just imagine what something like this OCZ unit could do for a PC's performance with the OS loaded resident on such a screaming fast piece of hardware. And it begs the question: Is it still considered a "virtual memory" page file when it's actually ON memory? Doesn't it kind of become some kind of oxymoron or logic loop? Oh man, maybe THAT is what causes the world to end in 2012! ;)

And it begs the question: Is it still considered a "virtual memory" page file when it's actually ON memory? Doesn't it kind of become some kind of oxymoron or logic loop? Oh man, maybe THAT is what causes the world to end in 2012! ;)

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back