OCZ Vertex 450 Review: Vector-like Performance For Less

By Jos
May 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,585   +489

Nice product update. I might at last try OCZ for the first time, if they stay in the league.

There were talks of Samsung readying the 850 series. I wonder what happened to it...
  2. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 320   +36

I don't think I'd ever risk spending money on an OCZ SSD, when I can buy from Samsung and rest easy knowing how reliable they are.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

I have used the Vector 256GB SSD for about 6 months now and it has worked flawlessly. Fast as hell too... I wouldn't have any problems recommending it to friends.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +707

I've used the Vertex 4 256 Gb for almost a year now. It's still a gem with absolutely no problems. I'll use OCZ drives anytime.
  5. I have had a 256 Vertex 4 since it came out... Never have had an issue. Extremely fast, great SSD IMO. But in 3 Years will the Samsung be running and my OCZ in the Trash? Probably won't find out, most likely will get a new SSD by then anyway...
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,274   +259

If the price drops some I'll jump on these - but they've gotta get some larger capacity drives on the list. For now, my 2 * 512GB Vertex 4s are fine but running out of space.
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,729   +874

I may try out a OCZ also for the first time for my Haswell build. I usually use Samsung storage (so I think I may buy a 840 Pro depending on pricing). As for the 850 series, Samsung just released firmware for the 840 Pro, so they probably are delaying the 850 and upgrading the 840 instead.
  8. jeffz6

jeffz6 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

Like any HDD, its all personal experience with failures. But I have had 3 OCZ ssd's, and 2 have failed. I think all hardware has a hit and miss ratio.
  9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,274   +259

That's true though yours seen much more miss than hit. They wouldn't happen to be early OCZ SSDs would they?
  10. I have a OCZ Agility 3 and Vertex 4 and never had a single problem (over two years period).

11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,134   +172

Running a couple of Vertex 3s and they have been flawless so far. Would say even if they were both to fail tomorrow I would have zero regrets but I would have an excuse to upgrade :)
  12. MrBungle

MrBungle TechSpot Booster Posts: 146   +64

I've have an Agility 2, Agility 4, Vertex 4 all of them work great (the agility 2 has been through 3 computers and still going strong) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another OCZ drive.
  13. That was a couple of years ago. The latest OCZ Vector and Samsung 840 drives seem to do just fine. We haven't experienced any problems, zero defects after the first 4 month for over 120 installed drives (80 OCZ Vector 256GB/ 40 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB). We replaced 3 and 2 year old Vertex 2 and Vertex 3 drives which had a failure rate of about 5 in 100 every month or two.
  14. I've got two Vertex 2, then two Vertex 3 and now two Vertex 4 without having any issues ! I'll take two Vertex 450 in my next rig without hesitation !

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.