OCZ Vertex Limited Edition 100GB Review

My prediction for SSDs is that they will continue to improve in speed and capacity in about the same way CPUs were in the last millennium, maybe even faster as the technology has just very recently started to gain momentum.

By the way, any reports about where these things will end up? Will they all be sold solely in the US, or will the lowly peoples of the rest-of-the-earth get to see one up close?

Looks very nice, although i agree that its reliability is yet to be proven. I also noticed that the intel x-25 prices had dropped recently and I managed to convince my work to purchase me one for a development laptop- Score! Probably give that one a good run through, but it will probably guarantee that i will want one for my home system sometime this year.

With all these new SSDs coming out (as well as all the HD companies joining in on the fun), it is a matter of time before these units will depreciate like a brand new car.

But still, it will be a long way off. As of now, Intel seems to have a great stance on the competition, their prices are dropping more often and are looking to be true "mainstream" devices.

I, for one, can't wait until the price per gigabyte costs on SSDs drops from multiple dollars per GB to just a few pennies per GB, like the physical drives have. Just wish it would hurry up! Only so much patience I can muster.

I'm waiting for the prices to drop on SSDs, they are still a bit pricey in a $ per gigabyte ratio. To me the techology looks promisiing and I'm going to keep watching them as they get more advanced in speed and capacity.

I hope you're not waiting for the $/Gb to reach the levels of HDDs are....

either that, or be prepared for a long wait.

Personally I'm waiting for the price/Gb to reach about $1/Gb

CMH said:
My prediction for SSDs is that they will continue to improve in speed and capacity in about the same way CPUs were in the last millennium, maybe even faster as the technology has just very recently started to gain momentum.

By the way, any reports about where these things will end up? Will they all be sold solely in the US, or will the lowly peoples of the rest-of-the-earth get to see one up close?

US Elitests only! Just kidding. I am very excited about the booming growth of the SSD market. SSD's are such a huge improvement over HDD's. You are right, there is only room for growth in speed, capacity, and quality.

The SSD market is getting very crowded with a new drive being announced every day or so... It's going to be hard for customers to make the best buying decision. What would be nice is a website that compares all the different brands and models with the same set of benchmarks.

The SSD market is getting very crowded with a new drive being announced every day or so... It's going to be hard for customers to make the best buying decision. What would be nice is a website that compares all the different brands and models with the same set of benchmarks.

Fref that is exactly what we aim to do and with this review we have done it. It’s not the models so much that need to be included but rather the controllers. We have over a dozen Indilinx Barefoot SSDs for example but we need only test one, the OCZ Vertex. In terms of performance they are pretty much all the same. However no one will argue that the Vertex is the best supported Indilinx Barefoot SSD and therefore we test it.

The only controller missing from our review that is released at the moment was Samsungs. Crucial’s new C300 features a new controller and since that SSD was just released we will be adding it soon. Western Digital also just released a new controller which is a little slower than the Indilinx Barefoot and we will also look to add that.

Like you say new SSDs are released all the time BUT new controllers are not released as frequently so many of the newly announced SSD products are actually not that new at all.

I think it shall be available on other parts of the world, not only in US so that everyone can enjoy its functions. It has a great possibility of getting sold on wide market coverage.

Afterall, we have seen the developments of each version of OCZ and we can conclude that SSDs are getting more and more advance. Although it has weaknesses in some functions, it's strengths tend to cover all the weaknesses. Graphs have also shown that OCZ has a greter advantage over other SSDs, greater demands would be possible therefore.

You have to wait a long time until the new SSD is obsolete so that it can get cheaper. hehe... I can't imagine how genius the inventor of the SSD was. This is a great article, very specific but complete and very particular on the points.

I have one Intel SSD 80 GB G1 and two Intel SSD 160 GB G2. The performance increase is unbelievable and very addictive. With that said, I am living in a dog house and working two jobs to pay for them. So far, my only regret is the fact that Intel did not add the Trim to its G1 SSD.

just generally speaking I know and I've seen SSDs speed its extremely fast and just unbelievalbe its like a lot faster than IDE drives lol I've been using my IDE drive since 06 xD and I've just started using SATA somewhere in 09-2010 anyways I just think your paying for the speed and just the way the drive mange your files personally I would just lay off buying SSD and wait until the end of the year or even better next year, OCZ is giving a 3 year warranty come'on thats a ticket telling you not to buy it. But thats just me I see a great future for it but its not now.

Actually, I've just been reminded of how an "average" user treats their HDDs.....

Most of us who are interested in computers take "very good care" of our systems.... Assuming we don't blow them up by overclocking or taking them apart for the heck of it....

That includes the HDDs, which are frequently defragged.

For an average user, even if SSDs are as-fast-as HDDs, they would see a huge increase in performance with an SSD, which should NEVER be defragmented, and fragmentation will NOT affect its performance at all.

Solely because of this, I will start recommending SSDs to every average user I know.

Back