Odd BSODs on HP dv6, 0x1000008e

markeh21

Computer in question is a HP dv6-1210sa, Athlon X2 QL-65 @ 2.1GHz, with an ATI HD 4530 GPU, running 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

I've had problems in the past with driver BSODs, related to a VirtualBox driver. I have since reinstalled VirtualBox and not had these issues.

Recently, I've been getting frequent (Had 3 this week so far) 0x100008e BSODS with no apparent cause according to Bluescreenview (one claims my Avast is the issue, since that has been updated I have not seen it blame that). I find it is when the machine is left to idle.

There are 3 dumps attached. The earliest one, the computer was left to its own devices and had nothing open (this is the one that Avast apparently caused)

The middle one of the three, Chrome was open, and I had just woken it up from being on screensaver.

And the latest one, I was testing to see if the screensaver was the issue, went away for 2 minutes, and came back to find the laptop powered off.

I hope this can be fixed relatively easy as I need this laptop for college in 2 weeks and also need it at the weekend. I would also like to know what caused the last two BSODs.

Any help would be appreciated. If there is anything I have left out, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• 081711-42869-01.dmp
    139.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 082011-38657-01.dmp
    139.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 082311-36129-01.dmp
    139.7 KB · Views: 1
Have you been infected recently or have you installed or done any updating of drivers recently?

Two dumps did not cite anything specific and the one that did cite the Avast driver I would agree isn't your issue. All three errors are 0x8E and while they sometimes can be caused by drivers they are almost always caused by hardware and are a good indicator of Bad RAM.

If you haven't already done so, please run a security scan and answer my two part question. Then we'll take it from there...

Last 2 things I updated were the Avast and the VirtualBox. I haven't been infected as far as I'm aware, but I will run Avast, and also attempt to run an Eset scan from a bootable CD, tomorrow morning, and see if they come up with anything.

Not updated any drivers, practically since I installed 7 on this, in January 2010. Not installed any drivers recently either.

I will attempt to run a MemTest, however I'm out this evening so can't run it till tomorrow. Are there any other scans you would like me to run?

If it is bad RAM, it isn't too much of an issue, as the laptop is covered under a PC World cover plan and I can get them to send me some out.

When you run memtest make sure you run it for at least 7 Passes and the more Passes beyond 7 the better -- unless of course you get errors before 7 then just run it per stick. However, they'll probably want you to send the RAM back as a pair anyway.

Keep us updated with the Avast/ESET scans and the memtest scan.

It's a PC World cover plan, so I'll end up sending the whole laptop back, and won't get it back for 6 weeks, and even then they'll format it.

However, if I can prove I've done diagnostic work, hopefully they'll send out a replacement stick. I'll try and get the Avast done tonight.

About 20 percent of the way through the first Memtest pass, the PC shut off due to overheating. Will attempt to virus scan the machine now, and keep an eye on temperatures before running Memtest again.

Sadly, every time I try and run memtest, it heats the computer up to a level where it powers off.

Could overheating cause this BSoD?

btw, Avast came up clear. Haven't had chance to run Eset yet, I doubt it's a virus causing this.

Get yourself a cooling pad. Heat will shut down a system fast. Check your systems fans especially your cpu and video card. Is there any dust build up in your system?

It's odd. I can browse the web for hours on it, with a dozen Chrome tabs open, iTunes on, MSN and Skype both on, and yet it overheats during Memtest. I might have another PC I can test the RAM in (a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-19S) if needs be.

I do have it on a cooling pad, a cheapo £1 one for now, but it can't last through Memtest.

So, is it possible the overheating caused the BSoD?

I'll get it sent in when I've got chance to then. I could apply some new TIM myself and dust out the HS but that would likely void the cover plan. Might have to ring them and check.

A can of compressed air with short bursts no closer than six inches. Don't turn the can upside down and spray.

Back