TechSpot

Odd Internet speed problem

By Lightingbird
Jul 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. So this is a good one.

I have a user that has a 60mb down/5mb up connection that they are paying for in their home. They are hooked up to a Asus RT-N13U router. They have a laptop hooked up by ethernet and when I performed tests on several different speed tests, I did not get past 21mb down/1mb up.

When I checked the users providers speed test(Charter Communications) the test came back almost perfect matching the speed they are paying for with them.

So then I went ahead and bypassed the router and did a direct connection and all of the sites reflected the correct speed.

I'm thinking the router is probably the problem but before I recommend that, I can't help but wonder why the customers ISP shows the speed as right behind the router while the others do not. I checked the routers settings and I did not see anything that would bottleneck the speed.

Any ideas, opinions, or suggestions?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.