Odd issues

zeuseng06

hello- its been awhile. i am having a hell of a time with my autoplay/autorun feature in XP. i have run the ms autofix wizard and tweak ui to no avail. autofix did give me a log of whats going on, but i really don't know what to do about it. Heres whats going on in regedit:
HKLM\...\Services\Cdrom\Parameters!Autorun(Absent)<ALLOWS>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!Always Enable(Absent)<NOT SET>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!Always Disable(Absent)<NOT SET>
also can't find the filters in the registry. they aren't there!
I am not sure what happened. everything was fine a while back and now my drives do not work. it used to be that i could just plug a cd in and it would either ask what i wanted to do, or in the case of a music cd, would just bring up media player and play.
the last ms 35 tech that looked at it couldn't resolve the issue. he was from a service i paid $199.95 for a years service.
it is my hope that someone here as a fix for me. thanks in advance!
timw

pc specs:
ms windows xp pro sp3 build 2600
2- liteon ide odd's
500gb wd hd
2gb ram
security- avast! internet & STOPzilla, malwarebytes

Check the IDE cable to the optical drives and motherboard to make sure they are securely in. Were they working and then suddenly they both quit or did they quit right after some repairs were attempted? If the later, double check the positions of the jumper on the back of the drives.

thanks, mailpup. i did all that first off. not 100% sure, but i think it is resolved...maybe/kindasorta?...we'll see!

Hopefully it is. If you know what you did to fix it, let us know in case someone else has the same problem later.

First of all, DO NOT accept any updates from MS! Irregardless if they are security updates or not. A lot of the updates will change your settings and force you to mad scramble like I did to retrieve settings you are used to. I use Windows XP Pro SP3 on this machine, and the origin of the OS is questionable. If you have good AV and a running spyware/malware program(s), you do not need them anyway. Let's not forget that XP is in its twilight and support will discontinue for SP3 within 6-8 mos. SP2 support has already been discontinued. I virtually had to do all options to the OS- restructure autoplay, parameters in the registry, shell hardware detection services, what have you, basically everything to do with autoplay had to be tweaked. It's a pain in the *** for me to have to go through a half a dozen clicks just to listen to a frickin' music CD! I put the disc in, I wanna see the Media Player window pop up now!
Thanks!
TimW

No matter what issues pop up after applying MS critical, or hardware updates is a necessary task. Most computers I work on haven't been updated in months. I have had sound driver issues from time to time, but telling people not to use Microsoft Updates at all is just silly

I understand how you feel. But I stand by my statement as the suggestion has saved me some grief. We all have our perspectives, and from mine, it's not so silly. Thanks for your comment, Tmagic650.

Back