Odd problem - comp won't post after installing CD driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, first time poster here.

I've been a computer tech for the last 5 years and I've dealt with this sort of problems alot my life but I can't figure this out.

I was doing some work on an older laptop (Dell Inspirion 5100) for a friend of mine. She had to reload windows a couple months ago and the drivers didnt get installed. Well, after installing the gfx, bios, cpu, sound, and usb bus drivers i restarted and everything was running great. A days later she told me I forgot about the CD/DVD ROM driver.

I went over to her house and installed it without any troubles, or so I thought. When I went to restart it seemed fine at first, but then gave me a generic IRQ error blue screen and shut off. I figured I needed to tweak the settings in BIOS but the thing is that it will no longer get past POST. The computer attempts to turn on, then shuts down approx 5 seconds after. The monitor never comes on either. I tried using a boot disc, but since it won't post, I can't.

The computer has a fresh version of XP on it, and no other troubles that I know of. Please help! I'm thrown for a loop here.

Thanks

CD/DVD ROM driver? No driver is needed. The bios/OS should apply one. With older OEM computers, you may need to set IDE devices to Cable Select only, for the computer to "see" them

CD/DVD ROM driver? No driver is needed. The bios/OS should apply one. With older OEM computers, you may need to set IDE devices to Cable Select only, for the computer to "see" them

You are right. Maybe it has something to do with the CDROM being faulty? Before I installed the driver the cd/dvdrom wasn't recognized under hardware manager. Possibly by installing the cd/dvdrom driver the OS is hanging on that faulty irq?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back