Odd problem with Firefox and other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyFaceLee

My PC seems to be exhibiting some odd behaviour.

When I played The Sims 2, the computer started to crash occasionally - which it never did before but it happened about 3 or 4 times in a week. When the computer rebooted, the screen would stay blank (it's an LG Flatron screen) but it had an orange-ish glow to it for about10 minutes and then eventually it would get back to normal.

On one occasion the screen flashed up a BSoD but it went within a second so I couldn't read it and then it also came up with a BSoD regarding "Memory Management".

This was my cue to reluctantly reinstall the OS (Windows Vista 32). After going through all the palaver of getting it loaded and updated I came to install Firefox and my usual raft of add-ons. But no, it wouldn't let me install a single add-on (theme or extension). I uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox about 10 times in all, tried various versions, removed profiles blah, blah... so, as the thought of being without Firefox was too much to bear (!) I decided to completely re-install Vista yet again...grrrr.... I did post this error on the Firefox forum but received no replies.

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsISafeOutputStream.finish]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js :: closeSafeFileOutputStream :: line 511" data: no]
Source File: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
Line: 511

So here I am again having reinstalled Vista and, joy of joys, I've just managed to get a couple of themes installed in Firefox but it's now decided that it can't take anymore and I'm getting the same error as before...arrrggghhhh!! Why when I've completely reinstalled the OS?! Presumably this is a software/windows issue? Any ideas?

I've yet to install the Sims as it takes forever and I don't want to go through it all if I end up having to replace hardware and install Vista yet again.

I've run an Extended Test on my WD Hard Drive and all was OK and I've done a Windows Memory Diagnostic Test without issues.

Any guesses as to what's happening here? Could The Sims thing be a hardware issue and the Firefox thing a software problem or could they be connected?

My specs are:

cpu: Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650
m/b: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Gold Edition (4GB)
HDD: Western Digital 150Gb Raptor SATA (WD1500ADFD)

Any help would be really appreciated! :)

Vista be trippin'!

Yeah dude, my laptop with Vista Basic (STOP LAUGHING!) has need two system restores in as many days. Sucks.

My Norton 360 expired, and my junks been going bonkers. I guess that's how they get ya. "Free" for 90 days, my but talks.

Now I gotta go see how I can GET RID OF IT!

Oooops! Sorry about the hi-jack bro! I hope ya get a response that's actually helpful, instead of just my "I feel your pain!"

lol

Couple of things to try.
First is your not alone. This is a very common error. A search for that stop code will produce hundreds of results. FIPS can be the problem apparently but not to sure exactly what it is. Something to do with security.

Anyhow make sure for now that Java is updated and running. Make sure you have the latest version.
Then come back is its no good.

iMoose,
Run the Norton Removal Tool to removal your software problem. We only like useful software on our systems :stickout:

I would not have suggested a reinstall to troubleshoot an error message! Using the event Viewer to find the corresponding Error Events will usually show cause and lead to resolution.

Reinstall or reformat should only be done when nothing else works- but you have to try 'something else' Every time you reinstall, you may be adding more problems. And if it's a hardware issue, a reinstall may not be appropriate.

When I played The Sims 2, the computer started to crash occasionally - which it never did before but it happened about 3 or 4 times in a week
Possibilities: video card problem, out of memory. Find Error in Event Viewer corresponding to the time of the BSOD.

Why when I've completely reinstalled the OS?! Presumably this is a software/windows issue?
On the contrary, it is more likely a hardware issue>> UNLESS the Sims CD has gone bad or is corrupt.

Could The Sims thing be a hardware issue and the Firefox thing a software problem or could they be connected?
More likely to be two separate problems and causes.

I've done a Windows Memory Diagnostic Test without issues.
it also came up with a BSoD regarding "Memory Management".
Did you run the memtest?

"Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
For help, see:
In case anybody stumbles upon this via Google, the same problem is mentioned here:
https://labs.mozilla.com/forum/index.php/topic,1239.msg5068.html#msg5068

and here's the bug report:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=443386

The workaround for now is to disable FIPS mode in Firefox's security section.

In troubleshooting:
1. Define the problems:
Sims crashing
BSOD indicating memory problem
Possibility of monitor failure: the screen would stay blank, had an orange-ish glow to it for about10 minutes and then eventually it would get back to normal.
Reinstall of Firefox problem.
2. Use available resources for information,
Event Viewer> For Vista: Monitoring Event Logs in Windows Vista:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Monitoring-Event-Logs-Windows-Vista.html
Device Manager to check for driver errors
3. See EventID.net for description, causes and resolutions: http://eventid.net/

I came to install Firefox and my usual raft of add-ons.
Possible problem: one or more of the add-ons. Install clean, add the add-ons back one by one, look for problems.

I have set this up for you> it's the way to begin troubleshooting. Throwing out the bathwater and hoping the 'bad' baby is in it is NOT recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back