OEM media centre install issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

So i finally managed to build my media centre ...

I bought media centre 2005 release 2 to run on it. the install went fine untill it asked me for the Service Pack 2 CD .. which was never sent to me (the purchase was of SP2, media center etc all inclusive)

I thought the best thing to do was to skip it as i was tired and bored

It all installed and booted up .. i was happy untill i saw what looked like windows 98 .... i wasnt impressed so i went to change the theme to the media centre theme but i was unable to
I've looked all over and i cannot find the media centre theme for this install!?

has anyone ever come across this issue before with OEM installs?

Is it worth re formatting and trying again?

thanks for your time

Perhaps you had an infestation remaining on your old drive setup, or that you acquired an infestation immediately after the WMC install.
I would order Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft, as a precaution. It is only $3.95 for shipping.
Did you have all your drivers handy... chipset, BIOS, audio, video graphics, modem, etc.
I would then reformat and reinstall, then add the drivers, then Internete Explorer 7, then download all the microsoft updates. Once done, I would immediately install antivirus and antispyware software. We recommend AVG, or anything but McAfee or Norton.
Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

thanks for the help .. ill give it ago and see what happens

this install was with all new components

all the drivers were to hand and still are so thats no problem

ill download everything like IE 7 and FF and anti virus on my laptop then install it from an external hdd

cheers again

It is not uncommon to find some of the newest drivers are more trouble than their older cousins. It is sometimes good to try a previous version of the driver when there are troubles.
Further, drivers for Windows Medica Center are not as widely distributed. Read all the detail on the drivers to assure they sound right for your installation.
Finally, often, with Windows Media Center, partially defective drivers are made right by the Microsoft Windows Updates that are automatically installed. We like to run the Microsoft Updates in "Custom" mode, so we can see what drivers are being repaired or replaced. Then we "Ghost" all drivers to a flash drive for future use when they do work... or to eliminate them when they do not.
We believe it is critical to run the automatic Microsoft Update scans immediately after each install of each component... then keep a few notes on these changes.
We consider Windows Media Center as much trouble as Windows ME was, and it needs early correction.

ayee!! thanks for the replies
i re formatted and reinstalled and its all working well.

the only trouble now is that media player 11 (i know ppl prefer other apps .. but i like MP11) wont install as I need rollup2 for media center. i have tried to install it from the windows update site but it will only find odd little updates for IE etc.
i installed them anyway but still media player wouldnt install.

Another issue is that I have a CD that is called 2005 updates for media center
but that wont run with SP2 because I need SP1 or some files from it installed
Shall i just try and find the files online? theres only (apparently) two that i need and one of them is 1.1 net frame work (or something like that)
I cant rememebr the other at this time
will post up when i get home

Is it likely that If i correct these files and install the 2005 rollup2 updates then i shall be able to install Media player 11?

Thanks again for your time It is much appreciated.

Yes.
Microsoft will automatically install all that you need, but I suspect you need more than two. You will need some optional files as well.
Go to www.microsoft.com USING INTERNET EXPLORER, not Mozilla, Firefox, Gran Paradiso, Safari or Opera. Then in the search box, type Microsoft Updates.
You can then select "custom" which gives you the facility to observe all the downloads. Micdrosoft will scan your computer and post a list of all updates needed. It may do this in three levels so that you have to install one set, reboot, then do this again for the second set, then again.
You will get a list on the left side of the screen showing Microsoft selections of necessary and optional files. Click on the optional files and select those as well.
Once you have all the updates boxes checked, let Microsoft do its thing. Be sure you select everything including Internet Explorer 7.
When all updates are installed, reboot, then go back to www.microsoft.com and search for Media Player 11. It should install without further problems unless you have hardware that does not meet the minimum standard for Media Player 11. Microsoft will tell you what else you need.

thanks again :D

after about an hour or two of downloading files and searching the net I fanally got MP11 to work !!

I had to install 1.1 net framework then the 1.1 net framework fix then i was able to install rollup2 and eventually mediaplayer11

Im finally one happy bunny lol

thansk again for your help

Good news. Thanks for the update. You experience will help others, as the problem has often been posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back