OEM OS to New HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehorror

Hey Techies! I'm preparing to purchase a new HDD (Seagate - 1TB Internal Hard Drive) but I'm wondering what to do about my OEM OS. I have Windows XP Pro SP3, it was installed by Dell about 4 years ago when I purchased the comp. I have a Dell Dimension 3000 (Intel Celeron D 330, 2666 MHz).

Anyhow, I'm looking to get a new HDD and I don't want Vista. I'd like to keep my Windows XP Pro but Dell never sent me back-up software. When it comes time to install my new hard drive and remove the old one, how would I go about installing Windows XP Prop from my old HDD to my new HDD. Is it possible to transfer? Do I have to contact the company? If not, how would I do it? Laygeek terms please!

Dell will send you the discs... Just call them, and verify you are the original owner... You will have the discs in four or five days...

If you did not register, register now, and wait a few days... 21 business days is best, then give them a call... If you can tell the exact day, you are on your way... They register you by the Service Tag digits

Check this thread... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html
The WD Data Lifeguard utilities include an option for cloning... migrating to a new drive.
Other drive utilities may as well.
I just did basically what you are talking about, with a new WD Scorpio Blue, and their utility worked great.

What Raybay suggests is an excellent idea though... that way, if the worst ever happens, you still have a way of recovering.

Folks, thanks a bunch for the advice! I contacted Dell and surprisingly enough they're sending me my back-up software for the comp which means I'll be able to keep my Windows XP Pro. Now the question is...

Where to start? I'll be printing your replies for future ref. When I get my seagate HDD, what do I do first? How would I go about installing it? Basically where do I start in order to get my disk drive to recognize the new HDD for my bac-up software installation?

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

First, it is wise to go to Dell Support at www.dell.com, and download all the drivers... there can be as many as 54 or as few as 22 of them... Chipset, video graphcs driver, BIOS, Audio, and so on. Use another computer to do this if you can, as it is handy to have them all together for when the drive is formatted and Windows is installed.
With the power plug disconnected, remove the old drive.
Install the new drive with the pin set on the end set for Master or Cable Select, your power cable plugged in from the power supply, and the 80-wire, 40 connector cable plugged into the #1 slot on the motherboard and the other end plugged into the hard drive.
Now you need the Dell disk which is usually maroon, ugly green, or light grey in the optical drive tray.
To do this, you can open the CD drive with a straightend paper clip pocked into that little hole on the front bezel, or plug in the power cord and turn on briefly.
Now double check to assure that all cables are connected, and none are dangling into the CPU fan housing.
Plug in the power cord, then push the on button. The Dell should boot to the new Windows Disk. If not, reset the boot order so the CD or Optical Drive is first.
Watch the screen to assure that the booted disk is now ready to format the hard drive.
Formatting the hard drive can take as few as 24 minutes or as long as 49 minutes, depending on the size of the hard drive.
One it has formatted the drive, the disk will switch to install mode and install windows.
At the end of that install, which will be obvious and may take another 37 minutes or less, then
you need to reboot.
Next you will need to install the drivers using the instructions that came with them from the website.
When the drivers are installed, you then go to www.microsoft.com, and let Microsoft install all the updates... Service packs, etc. This can take a long time, depending upon your connection speed.
Once all the Dell stuff is installed, you can then begin installing your software such as antivirus, antimalware, Office or WordPerfect or whatever you word processing is..

By this time, you should be frustrated and exhausted...

But eventually, you will have perfection.

CRAP! Thanks that's quite a bit to take in but I'm sure I'll nail it.

Question, Dell is sending me a disk with my OS and drivers. I recently installed a crapload of old drivers from Dell.com to my computer. Will I have the drivers needed already? Will I have to re-download or will the disc they're sending me take care of drivers?

Sorry to be such a pain in the ***. I'm trying to cover all bases before I go offline lol

With some manufacturers "restore discs", all that is needed is to plug the new HDD into the appropriate socket, (IDE master or SATA "0") insert the discs in the CD drive and turn on the machine. Then, enter "restore" at the prompt. This is usually accomplished via an "F" key. From that point, the discs will format the drive, and install the OS and drivers.

Manufacturers restore discs may contain many of the necessary drivers also.

"Data Lifeguard" and other disc imaging programs will however, leave you with much less work, since they bring all the data and such to the new drive.

My advice is to save all your files to another drive or hard media anyway, before you start.

It appears you will be good to go, with very little work.
What did they charge you for that big extra...
Normally, you just plug them in and they work... They are commonly used for field replacements under warranty. They work well. You return to normal as soon as you add your own software and the files you have saved.

Its alot easier to clone your current drive onto your new one , than it is to re-install your OS and all your software.

Basically you need to do this:

1. Install new drive in computer , leaving old one in also.
2. Get a bootable CD/DVD that has drive imaging software.
3. Change BIOS to boot from CD/DVD.
4. Copy old drive to new one.
5. Change BIOS to boot from new drive , or remove old drive and replace with new one.

There are posts on here that tell how to do it.

I would agree only for those who really know their stuff.
We have seen such huge numbers of problems migrated to the new drive that we do not recommend it for everyone.
A clean install of a new drive should be considered a chance to clean up, and make things better.
We always give our clients a choice... and we do not charge more or less for one over the other because we want all those clients back for other services.

If you decide to go the clean install route, make sure you have all the CD's/DVD's ( and product keys) for any software that you purchased or installed before you start as you will have to re-install all of the software that you added on. Sometimes people forget what was installed on their computer, and after a clean install the program is no longer there and they don't have the disk anymore to re-install it. Just make sure you have everything before you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back