TechSpot

Office 2010 nearing RTM, free upgrade for some 2007 users

By Matthew
Mar 5, 2010
  1. If you've been eyeing a copy of Microsoft Office 2007, there's no better time than the present to make a purchase. In a blog post yesterday, Microsoft announced that customers who buy and activate Office 2007 will receive a free upgrade to Office 2010.

Read the whole story

2. ourboyblue

ourboyblue TS Rookie Posts: 19

You can't use free and Mico$oft in the same sentence.
    No, Really it's written somewhere.

3. mv670

mv670 TS Rookie Posts: 75

I guess this doesnt apply to those who already had office 2007, oh well.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

Well that's weak. What about those of us who bought Office 2007 a year ago? We don't get props for supporting the Office product?

5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,075   +84 Staff Member

:) You get to show your support all over again.

6. alexandrionel

alexandrionel TS Rookie Posts: 94

Professional Academic will be something like Student Edition?

7. fadownjoo

fadownjoo TS Rookie Posts: 64

Awesome! i actually just bought it too hehe

8. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,075   +84 Staff Member

9. I have a question. If I buy 07 now can I install '10 on a different PC later?

10. danteoz

danteoz TS Rookie Posts: 41

I still need to try this out and see how it improves on 2007

11. boyese

boyese TS Rookie Posts: 20

Think i'll stick with Office 2007 till the next version, its got nothing new I need.

Unless I can buy it through work for £11!

12. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

What about the court injunction Microsoft had preventing it from selling office? Is that gone? I never read about the remedy in Techspot.

13. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

I have tried out the beta, a lot of improvements have been made. Although if you are extremely satisfied with 2007, there is not much benefit.

14. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +23

I don't understand how this business model will last too much longer. Google offers google docs for free. I can access it from any internet connection anywhere. Even on my phone. It's not as robust as Microsoft Word, but how often are you really ever using all of the features in Word? Soon enough, Microsoft Office will be irrelevant.

15. Zenphic

Zenphic TS Rookie Posts: 43

I just purchased Office 2007. I'm pretty sure I'll make it through University with it, albeit "outdated" when Office 2010 will come out lol.

16. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,059   +76

I don't see google docs penetrating the corporate space in foreseeable future; reason being 'the issue of control over their critical business processes/information'. No online service can be trusted as such to hold such data online; let alone google. Also, there is issue with what you can actually do with all that information/data; and google is nothing more than rubbish at that for advance users atm.

However, for ordinary user who just need type couple of letters once in a while, or for SE's that seems not too bad of a solution.

17. eltigre4jc

eltigre4jc TS Rookie

I am fascinated by Office 2010. No, really, it's much better than 2007, although is in the RC stage. I can't wait to get the full functional pack...

As for those who don't write too much.....this ocasion( buy 2007 and upgrade free to 2010) , it's a great thing....

18. buendia

buendia TS Rookie Posts: 29

I use beta for a little while, seemed pretty much faster than 2007 (x64 version of Office 2010 on Windows 7x64), but I experienced a slight incompatibility in documents created with 2007 and edited with 2010 (some spaces between words and sentences used to just dissappear).
    It had been probaby some sort of bug which was hopefully fixed by now.

19. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

Am I still the only one using Office 03? I am dissapointed by the incompatibilities between 03 and 07, and I may have to take the big leap for 10. I hope there are better compatibilities with the 2 older versions.

20. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,074   +100

I was thinking of trying Office 2010 because many say that it's a big improvement compared to 2007, but there are still to many bugs and for that reason alone i can't use it for work.

21. mrtraver

mrtraver TS Enthusiast Posts: 237   +11

I still use 2003 at home. We "upgraded" to 2007 at work last year, and i STILL hate the ribbon interface. Give me back my menus, so I can find things again!! I couldn't even find the "help" button on 2007.

22. pyari

pyari TS Rookie Posts: 66

this meaN M$ excited to sold office 2010 like win 7.....office 7 is quite good but saving extension is (docx) is very annoying to novice user. hope this will be very easy to use in day to day work.

23. Kovach

Kovach TS Rookie Posts: 44

I'm using beta 2010 Office for 2 months. I think it just improved version of 2007. Nice visual effects and ofcourse it works like a charm! I suggest everyone.

24. supyo

supyo TS Rookie Posts: 42

MS office really started to suck after Office 2003. I don't like 2007 and from what i've seen of 2010 i think i'll like it less.

25. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

Sure are some pricey software, I don't think I could ever put money down like that.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.