'Ok Google' voice activated search arrives on desktop Chrome

By Jos
Nov 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google voice search has been available through Chrome on the desktop for a while, but now the company is bringing the feature a little closer to parity with mobile by releasing a “hotword” extension that puts the browser in listening...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,336   +1,938

It may appeal to some but you'll never catch me speaking to my computer unless I'm busy cussing it. Speaking to a device is something I'll never get used to. firstly, you can't have an intelligent conversation with it (like a lot of people I meet so I should be used to that) and secondly you look like a chump. It can come in handy for mobile devices while you're driving but apart from that I'll stick to what works best for me, a keyboard.
    Chuck Cortes and gcarter like this.
  3. Chuck Cortes

Chuck Cortes TS Rookie Posts: 53   +13

I like the idea, it can come in handy in situations where you need to do a quick search and speaking is easier than clicking. I understand your opinion on speaking to devices but with the Xbox One making voice recognition a more common thing in the house and with Android doing the same with their phones and tablets thru Kitkat 4.4, I can see this becoming normal. Specially if you;re a Star Trek fan, like me.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. OK Google... Bangkok Chick Boys!
  5. "Google, show me where your leaders are so that we can arrest them for crimes against humanity."

I knew there was a good use for Google Maps!
  6. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

I understand your perspective, but sitting in your room and quickly saying, "Ok, google how many inches in a foot", is way easier then typing it. I do agree I is kind of scary and silly like if some one catches ups talking to our PC.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,336   +1,938

I suppose if you get used to it and everybody does it you won't feel like such a imbecile. It can be handy as you say but I don't know...