Old Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

I have an olded computer. When it turns on and shortly after everything turns off. The old hard drive has some things on it I would like to save. I have another computer (both have xp), can I pull the hard drive off the old one and put it in the new one? Both hard drives have xp so if I put it the other one in will it dual boot acceptable or will I have to temporarily disconnect the other drive to get access tp my older drive?

Is this related to your other question in Alt OS?

The old hard drive, presumably it isn't dead, can be connected and the data retreived. BUT it can not be a boot drive in the other computer. (in very special cases it can).

So what I'd do if the drives are IDE is set the main one, the one that is booting the working computer to Master. It LIKELY is already set as that. If not it is CS. I would then set the one from the dead computer to Slave, these are the jumper settings on the back of the drive, the top shows you how to set them for Master, Slave and Cable Select. I'd make sure the main comps boot drive is master and the new one slave and that they are on the same IDE cable. Doing it that way will eliminate some boot issues.

If they are sata, its easier, just set the right drive as the higher boot priority in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back