Old HDD, new PC

I had an old pc that is now gone but I kept the hard drive and want to wipe it clean including the OS.
Im planning on building a new computer and want to put my old hard drive in, but my computer is obviously gone. So, can I plug my hard drive into a different pc that I have access to through sata and wipe it on there? also how would I go about doing that??
any help would be appreciated!

When I want to wipe an old drive, I connect it to a good stable system with full operating system (like Windows 10) with a SATA. I make absolutely sure that I can identify and specify the target drive (getting them confused causes a lot of rework). I write it down so if I get interrupted, I still know which is which. If I want any files, this is the last time to get them. Then I partition the target and then do a full format (not the 'quick' one) which can take some time, but proves the drive is good.

See for specifics: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/setup-hard-drive-windows/

When I want to wipe an old drive, I connect it to a good stable system with full operating system (like Windows 10) with a SATA. I make absolutely sure that I can identify and specify the target drive (getting them confused causes a lot of rework). I write it down so if I get interrupted, I still know which is which. If I want any files, this is the last time to get them. Then I partition the target and then do a full format (not the 'quick' one) which can take some time, but proves the drive is good.

See for specifics: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/setup-hard-drive-windows/
thankyou dude, the link proved helpful too. When you say partition, can I just delete the partition with the main bulk of files on it along with the OS?

You release the old partitions and then you define new ones as your use would have it. If I am using it as the boot media drive, I let the OS installer take care of details.

See ComputerHope for more explanation detail.

I've used a SATA / IDE to USB adapter for this task. Most HDs can be externally attached to any system and then managed via the DiskMgr task

Back