Old PC New IDE Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a PC I build my self years ago. The hard drives were dead when I got it out of storage so I bought a new 80gig drive 7200rpm. My PC won't see it no matter what jumper settings I try.
What have I forgotten???
Thank in advance,
"The older I get the more I forget!"

If you are positive that is connected correctly and your jumper settings are correct, it may not recognize anything larger than 32GB or even 8GB if it is really old.

While modern IDE controllers will address drives larger than 32GB, older systems circa (about) 1999 or less aren't always capable.

You have four options (listed in the order or effectiveness).

1.) Update your BIOS from the manufacturer with the latest version. Many board manufacturers have updates for their Pentium II or better boards which offer >32GB capability.

2.) Buy a PCI IDE controller. They use their own BIOS to recognize the drive and anything you buy new will be able to recognize 32GB or greater.

3.) Use a drive overlay program to "fake" the computer into access all 80GB. Not recommended[/b]. This could cause serious data loss in the future, although it should work fine if you never run into file system related problems.

4.) Many drives above 32GB also have a "32GB clip" jumper setting which limits the drive to 32GB total.

Thank you Rick, that is what I though... I will try your suggestions and let you know what worked!
Until then thanks again you've been a big help!
Rym MacDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back