TechSpot

Old PC Upgrades

By djspan101
Jul 21, 2009
  1. Hey guys,
    sorry I have not been on for ages!
    Anyway earlier today I saw an old Desktop PC built by Tiny for £12 in the Friday Ad. I thought it was a no brainer to buy it and see what upgrades I can do on it.

These are the specs that they posted:

TINY DESKTOP PC with Windows XP, 600MHz Celeron processor, 10 GB HDD, 256 MB RAM, Ethernet connection, could deliver £12 , Brighton

I know, its not particularily great but I thought it would make a good summer project.

[​IMG]

What I want to know is what upgrades should I consider? Please note it is about 6-7 years old so brand new hardware is not an option. Think more in the terms of SD RAM. Also I dont have all the money in the world :L

Thanks,

djspan101

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Depends on the motherboard mate. I'd personally get the Tiny Tower PC 2.1 for £40 instead. It'd be far easier to upgrade that machine IMO.

3. djspan101

djspan101 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Ok thanks any idea where i can look for one. (ebay?)

4. djspan101

I cant seem to find one, can you give me a link? Also is it just a case or an actual PC?

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The PC I mentioned is on Friday Ad Brighton.

6. djspan101

ok thanks found it :L

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

If it has several PCI slots you could load it up with NICs and make it a router/firewall. If it has few you could put in some SATA controller cards and toss FreeNAS on it and use it as a file server.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.