Old PC Upgrades

By djspan101
Jul 21, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys,
    sorry I have not been on for ages!
    Anyway earlier today I saw an old Desktop PC built by Tiny for £12 in the Friday Ad. I thought it was a no brainer to buy it and see what upgrades I can do on it.

These are the specs that they posted:

TINY DESKTOP PC with Windows XP, 600MHz Celeron processor, 10 GB HDD, 256 MB RAM, Ethernet connection, could deliver £12 , Brighton

I know, its not particularily great but I thought it would make a good summer project.

[​IMG]

What I want to know is what upgrades should I consider? Please note it is about 6-7 years old so brand new hardware is not an option. Think more in the terms of SD RAM. Also I dont have all the money in the world :L

Thanks,

djspan101
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,277   +22

Depends on the motherboard mate. I'd personally get the Tiny Tower PC 2.1 for £40 instead. It'd be far easier to upgrade that machine IMO.
  3. djspan101

djspan101 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 45

Ok thanks any idea where i can look for one. (ebay?)
  4. djspan101

I cant seem to find one, can you give me a link? Also is it just a case or an actual PC?
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,277   +22

The PC I mentioned is on Friday Ad Brighton.
  6. djspan101

ok thanks found it :L
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,266   +218

If it has several PCI slots you could load it up with NICs and make it a router/firewall. If it has few you could put in some SATA controller cards and toss FreeNAS on it and use it as a file server.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.