Old resolution setting on a game crashed my computer, and new monitor shows nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

I am not sure exactly what forum this fits under but here it is

I recently switched monitors with my brother, he finally moved his ginormous monitor out of the house. So now I have a dinky 20 inch, any who yesterday when he was over visiting he went into war3 which has had its resolution set to 1600x1200 (from the old monitor) when my new monitor only goes to 1680x1050. So the screen flipped out and 2 hours later of rebooting and aimless clicking it still wasn't displaying properly. Very seldom would it show anything, its just a black screen, today i messed with it for 20 minutes and saw nothing at all.I tried hooking up an ancient screen from 10 years ago, same results, anyone have any ideas? I bet if I knew how to blindly get into safe mode It would work. When I initially put in the new monitor I set the res to its proper size on the desktop and in world of warcraft(not war3).

Heres the wopper, now when I start it up hoping it will magically fix itself, it makes erent erent noise on boot, and judging from my interface screen on my keyboard its not getting into windows. Because the little screen on my keyboard will light up when windows is loaded. I believe this is due to the 2 hours of my brother trying to get i to work. So I dont even know if getting into safe mode will help.

I am sorry I dont have a dxdiag so ill tell you what I can remember about the computer

Windows xp
sp 2
7600 nvid video card
2gig dd2 ram
Plenty of space
It has no tempature problems

If there is any other specific information I need to give ask and I will see what I can do about getting it.

I'd shut down and reseat the video card, all the monitor swapping may have caused it to become unseated.

After doing that, are you getting anything to display on screen at all (like the POST). If so, you should be about fixed. Just before Windows begins to load start tapping F8, then you'll get the boot menu where most people then go into Safe Mode. Do not go into safe mode, choose VGA mode. Windows will then boot normally, just with a crap resolution. But the correct drivers and everything should be loaded, so then you just set the resolution to what you want and you are fixed.

Hey thanks a lot man, I didn't know how to reset my video card, so i spent like 10 seconds looking for a button, then I thought hey i can unplug the power that should so it. And it worked, thank you. I'm now gonna go into vga mode and set the resolution to the proper setting in that game.

You can close this alls well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back