TechSpot

Old Satellite 1670CDS laptop problem

By mokaboy
Jun 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a really old laptop that was running windows 98.

I took this apart and installed a 40gb hard drive to replace its 6gb ready for a fresh UBUNTU install.

When i went to install Ubuntu 8 it hangs forever on this screen...
    '[ 0.000000] ACPI: DMI BIOS year==0, assuming ACPI-capable machine

I have searched this problem and tried adding ACPI=off at the end of the boot options but no luck, instead it will just go to a blank screen.

I tried booting up another live cd i own called mini-PE... It got to the desktop but returned an error about the isaac.exe really quickly then restarted?

I think it might be a RAM problem but as far as i know this laptop has soldered RAM..

Is this the end of my old laptop? I would really like to have a little unix machine running !

2. mokaboy

mokaboy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 251

An update, i tried with Ubuntu 7.10 and got this error :

Kernel Panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill the idle task!

3. mokaboy

Ive just had a thought... Could it be because i only have 32mb of RAM available?

4. Crosswing

Crosswing TS Rookie

I'd say yes. Linux doesn't require RAM as much as Vista does, but it still needs 128-256, especially if your distribution is new. I don't think Ubuntu will ever run on that machine if you don't add more RAM.

I suggest you get more RAM (with 128MB you can run DSL (Damn Small Linux) at full speed, according to their website). :)

5. mokaboy

i tried Damn small linux but the laptop just restarts after i press enter?!
    also tried slax with no luck... what could be wrong? im currently running memtest from the slax cd i made ill post back with results.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.