Old work computer, need some help

Morpheus1967

Please forgive what may seem like a simple question, but I am new to this whole networking thing. The backstory:

I worked for a company a year ago that went out of business. When we were closing down, we were given the option of purchasing our work computers, which I did. My problem is now that when ever I turn the computer on, it is still asking for my username, password and domain. The username and domain are always there, I just need to enter the password (my old work password) to get the computer to finish booting up.

I would like to get rid of this login screen. I want to turn the computer on and have everything boot up without requiring a password, logging into a domain, etc. The reason I am trying to do this is because #1, it's a pain in the ****, and #2 I am going to be setting up a home network, and want to be starting fresh.

So the simple question is, how do I do this without affecting anything else on the computer?

Windows XP Professional

Thank you, I will give that a try. Now, being a noob to home networking, I need some advice. In the past, all I have had is a desktop computer connected to a modem. I just got a laptop as well, and I am going to be setting up a home network.

Here is what I want to do, and I am sure this is pretty basic. I want to run the PC, a laptop and a wireless printer. PC hard connected at wireless router.

What is the best bang for my buck as far as wireless routers go? I don't want a cheapy that has a weak signal, but I also do not need anything that lets me communicate with the space shuttle either. Ideas? And please remember I'm new at this. Thanks all.

Linksys routers seem to be fairly popular and they have good support on there internet site. Routers are supplied with very easy to follow instructions and a set up disc that doesn't need a degree in computing to understand.

The set up you require is fairly straight forward I just need to know what version of windows is running on both of the PC's.

Thanks again.

The desktop has Windows XP Professional
The laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Router and printer not purchased yet. Waiting for input.

Once you have the wireless router simply follow the instruction that come with the router to set it up on the XP machine. It should also have instruction to set up the wireless connection with the laptop. As I said before the linksys routers come with a set up disc which makes the job very easy.

Once you have purchased the wireless printer that should also have instructions which will show you how to set up connections with both PC's for printer sharing.

If you get stuck then post back here for further help with the make and model of the router and printer that you have purchased.

Back