Older IDE HDD + Controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acclamator

I recently aquired two new 120GB SATA2 HDD from my friend. Previously I used a SYBA Controller card to control my DVD drives since my old HDD is IDE. Anyway I got my SATAs hooked up installed my Controller and plugged my old HDD into it. When I boot the system the controller says it noticed my old Maxtor drive. When I get into Windows it doesn't detect the drive. I know the old HDD works because I hooked it up to my MoBo and finished formatting it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've tried plugging it into my DVD drive and the drive works. I think the problem may be with the jumper on the older hard disk. I'll report back when I get my answer.

EDIT2: First I removed the jumper, which made the disk change to CS (Cable Select). It still did not work so I removed the hard disk from the machine. I then noticed that before I removed the jumper it was already set to CS. I set it to Master and the drive works flawlessly.

I'll Peace; later.

Yes now just to address the fact that Windows XP thinks my new SATA drivers are removable hard drives?

EDIT: Turns out that this is normal because I have an nForce based motherboard. Oh well.

some older motherboards do not work well with SATA and PATA mixed together. For a long time I strongly recommended here on TS against mixing these types of drives. However, newer boards appear to have worked out this issue.

Yeah don't worry about it, I too have an nForce motherboard and it has that whole removable thing to. It's normal ;D

Without getting into electromagnetic storage principles; It depends on the file structure used on the drive, and other variables. Sometimes data is recoverable under optimal conditions, but it doesn't mean you will always get every bit of data back.

A hard disk uses a magnetic disk. For a hard drive to write data on this disk what it does is magnetize tiny regions on the magnetic disk. When you reformat the hard drive It doesn't always completely wipe everything on the disk, or erase the magnetized regions completely. Some software is able to read what is left of these magnetized regions and other software is able to completely wipe out the disk to the point of no return.

By no return do you mean that the hard disk would be a paper weight or that nothing, even by the government, would be unreadable?

I just like to put some clarity on data recovery (or removal rather) You must do a minimum of 7 Wipes to feel secure that your data is gone.
But, if your data is extremely sensitive, and you want no one else to see it ever. Then you must drill many holes in the HardDrive, and then throw it away (in different bins!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back