Older Video Card Suggestions

By EXCellR8
Jun 9, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've finally had enough of my slow-as-molasses shop computer and I'm looking at rebuilding it with some slightly newer parts. I found and bought another NF7-S 2.0 motherboard (why did I ever sell mine off?) and some RAM but I need a AGP 8x video card, nothing special. I was thinking something along the performance lines of a 6800GT, but I think I want an older Radeon card this time; I'm not sure what to get. What is a decent ATI equivalent? Preferably 256MB RAM... thanks in advance!
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,884   +77

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

sorry i should have specified that i'd like to stay in the $50-60 range if possible haha. i don't need the fastest AGP card for this machine, it's just my shop computer i use for general stuff. the current card is an ancient GeForce 2 MX so anything will be better lol. i just don't know much about the older ATI cards so maybe i will just get another 6800GT... or 6600GT if i need to.
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,884   +77

5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Topic Starter Posts: 2,278

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up just buying a used VisionTek X1950 Pro for $40, which I think is a good choice for this system. I had an XFX GeForce 7950GT card awhile back and I liked it a lot; the X19xx is pretty close in comparison from the looks of it. It's actually a lot more power than I need but what can I say I like headroom. Hopefully it doesn't bottleneck too much but I won't be gaming on the computer anyways, since it's only an Athlon XP 2400 :haha:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.