OLPC XO tablet will launch exclusively at Walmart next week

By Shawn Knight
Jul 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. One Laptop Per Child’s (OLPC) XO tablet will launch exclusively at Walmart on July 16. The hybrid notebook / tablet is further expected to debut at many top retailers in the US, Europe and in North and South America soon...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,896   +611

I thought OLPC was a charity thing... for education in 3rd world countries. It'll be tough selling it at stores in the 1st world. LeapPad makes a pretty good child's toy that's similar to a tablet and runs educational software (no internet though). And I'll bet anyone with access to ebay can get a Nook tablet on the cheap these days.
  3. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 394   +63

Maybe its to get some money for giving them away elsewhere?
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,250   +530

I have to agree with you comment on 3rd world counties. The vast majority of people in rural areas in country don't have an inkling what a tablet is (even of the pharmaceutical kind) and have no use for the internet. It's a shame really.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.