TechSpot

OLPC's sub-$100 XO-3 tablet may have solar panel, satellite Internet

By Matthew
Jul 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Not to be outdone by India's $35 tablet, the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) organization has shared new details about its upcoming slate. Originally announced in 2009, the XO-3 is…

Read the whole story

2. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 423   +41

Ok where did that picture come from? I'm struggling though to see how it is related to this article...

3. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 804   +9

Techspot always has a picture in their articles. This article is about a tablet that hasn't been produced yet, so they just found some random futuristic looking tablet picture and used it. The tablet is decribed to have satellite Internet connectivity, and it looks like the tablet in the picture is using a satellite or something. Not sure what the complaint is about, though. The picture is irrelevant. The article is the important thing.

4. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,443   +124

For sub $100 a computer solution solar powered would be amazing! Cant wait for it to come and all the hacks to become.

5. Do others agree with me that OLPC actually created the Netbook?
    It seems like Netbooks came out after OLPC XO.
    The big boys were worried this would hurt them.
    Remember the "classmate" right after the XO?
    I have an XO (buy one give one).
    Still a slick innovative gadget.

6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 804   +9

No, we don't agree that OLPC created the first netbook. The Apple Newton eMate was actually the first small form factor (sometime in the late 90's). XO didn't show up till 2005 as a prototype, and was officially released in either 06 or 07 (can't remember which one, but I think it was 07).

7. matrix86--I forgot about the Newton.
    I guess I would rephrase to say OLPC XO was one that forced vendors to consider building netbooks.
    The Newton was just to early to catch on.

8. Guest and matrix86 - the OLPC triggered a good amount of public interest about low cost portable computers (I remember people saying "I'd buy a 100 bucks machine like that!"), and the industry just followed the trend.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.