TechSpot

omg.....Linux installs.....then fails to load the Boot Loader

By chadro
Dec 20, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im having a nightmare and a half. As i am typing.....Im on the 7th fricken attempt at getting Linux to work on my system. Ok, ive installed Linux using 4-5 different partition combonations...NONE OF THEM WORK. After the Linux installation is complete.....the system reboots and no boot loader shows up. The boot disk that Linux creats fails. I get a failed to load OS error. Ive done these 6 attempts with and without the WinXP partition on. even done it with a blank HD. What in gods name is going on here. Can someone post me a reply on how to Install Linux and ACUALLY having it run after reboot>?? P.S I also want to runu Windows XP too. I have a 40 gig HD , Red Hat 9 disks 1,2,3 . Any walkthrough help is welcomed. I want to prove my friend that he told me how to install Linux the wrong way.
  2. filthy_mcnasty

filthy_mcnasty TS Rookie Posts: 89

what i did was delete all the partitions on my HD w/ the WinXP setup cd, then installed xp on a 30gb partition then let linux take the rest. then the thing will usually automatically boot into linux and you have to configure the boot loader from in there. i did this w/ mandrake 9.1/9.2 and not redhat but have that one too.
    you could TRY that, as for what's going wrong i don tknow.
  3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Have you had a look at this thread
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Maybe your hdd is set to something other than LBA mode in BIOS?
  5. chadro

chadro TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 38

done deal......it was using the wrong boot loader. I used grub and it worked fine
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.