OMG!!! What the @#$%^ happened to my computer?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandPiper

Today I turned on my computer, and checked my email, unplugged the inet, and began typing a paper in Word, plugged back the inet connection to check some resources, and BAM! a blue screen pops up saying Physical Dump?! What is that? Now the comp doesn't want to turn back on??? I am not a computer guru, so I need very explicit directions on how to fix the problem?! :eek: FREEKING OUT!!!!

you have experienced the infamous BSOD "Blue Screen of Death" as commonly known in he computing world. Your system has crashed for a myriad of reasons. When it crashes, a debugging error code is dumped to your system log files. These are called minidumps. Learn how to decipher minidump codes to fix the problem:

read: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic31341.html

Thank you so much Ted.

I hope we can fix the problem. Does it usually cost a lot to have someone fix this problem?

What is your brand and model of computer?
In which part of the world do you live?
This is a difficult question for an accurate answer online...
A top flight, repair consultant might fix it all in an hour, but the cost per hour would be high... from $55 to $135 per hour, plus parts. Some have a $45 minimum. Some have a $150 minimum.
You might find a person who works for $35 and hour, but he might take a day and a half
Your problem could take hours to decipher... or be found in seconds.
It is important to talk to as many technicians as possible... in person, if you can find a person with the time to talk. You want to know the breadth and depth of their experience. A good technician has thousands of hours invested in training courses, reading materials, parts, and especially, software. He or she might have $3500 to $10,000 invested in certifications. Then there is health insurance, shop rent, electricity... you know the drill.
But a enthusiastic guru with little formal training might be just the guy. You just never know until you ask around.
When we know a little more about your setup, we can give a better guess, but it will be merely a guess.
The best repair person I know is an autistic fellow who is 19 or 20, and works a regular job of 40 hours a week. He can fix everything, but cannot figger out what to charge, or even talk to you coherently, but he is better than most techs will ever be. He works in a sheltered environment where benevolent managers assure he has great work space, and pay that meets with his value.
If it requires memory, perhaps $50 to $100 for memory, and $35 for diagnostics. If it is a video card, it could be $75 to $75, plus $65 labor.
You need to find out what the standard may be in your area.

My comp is a

Syntex, and all I know is that it is an IBM. I think it has 250 RAM, we run windows 2000 still on it, because it's easy. It's pretty old we purchased the laptop about 6 years ago from pricewatch.com and they built the computer for us based on what my husband needed. He likes to game, and watch movies, and is a big fan of music. Unfortunately, we are not too computer saavy, so when something goes down, we don't know what to do?! Thank God for sites like this!!! Thank you for your time. Oh, and we live in New Mexico, USA.

Laptop or desktop. Regardless, give us the information on the label on the back or bottom of the computer... model number, and any descriptive name.
Syntex is not a brand name I recognize in computers, but I have been an IBM repairman since 1992... and also lived in New Mexico until recently.
Windows 2000 is a good operating system and 250 mb will work fine in it.
But it is likely your hard drive has gone bad... but can be repaired by you for $40 to $60 if you have the original install disc(s). If you do not have the discs, but have the product ID for Windows 2000, we can still help you. I can send you a Windows 2000 disc if you have the product ID, and may be able to help you get the product ID.
First Question: Can you boot to SAFE MODE by repeatedly pressing the F8 key as soon as you push the on button?

We do have a utility disk

that came with the computer, will that work? He also said that he didn't find anything on the bottom of the computer just battery info. He said that nothing happens when he presses F8. As far as windows is concerned, I have no idea how we got it, I think it came with the computer? We don't have any disks for it, though.
Thank you so much for your help! I don't know if I thanked you already or not. :grinthumb

I am not sure I can help you. I do not understand what computer you have. All computers, by law, must have a label describing model, brand, and coding that applies to FCC licensing, etc.
I still do not know if it is a laptop or a desktop model. I don't know how old it is, nor do I know the purpose of the computer... home, work, science?
"My comp is a Syntex, and all I know is that it is an IBM." just doesn't tell me enough. Most Syntex computers are specialty computers for scientific or research tasks. Is yours one of those? A laptop? Desktop? That may be why it will not boot in safe mode, but it could also be because of a damaged hard drive.

Do you get any sort of a boot screen at all? I suppose not, since you cannot boot to SAFE MODE.
If it is a laptop, there should be little doors or trays on the bottom or side that allow you to remove a screw, exposing the hard drive which you can then remove. I can tell you how to replace that drive, but without a Windows disc, I cannot.
I have ways to recover the Windows Product Key, but not the other software you need to get it back to the way it worked before the BSOD.
If you can expose the hard drive, and if you can find the product key, you can install the new hard drive and then windows. I will give you a Windows 2000 Professional install disc if you have the product ID or Product Key.
No need to thank me. I have not helped you yet.

I hope this helps

Model No:GREEN736
Do you need the serial #? I jotted it down in case.
It is a laptop, we use it for home and business purposes (word & excel docs. & banking)
My husband likes to game,and surf the web.

I do also have a utility disk that came with the computer.

Last night after I got home I messed around with the comp after your messages. F8 worked sometimes, and when it did these three things happened.
1. A screen popped up giving me 3 options to choose from.
What system do you want to run?
Windows 2000
the other two I didn't understand (& failed to write it down, sorry it was midnight), so I chose Windows 2000.
Then, I began deleting programs that weren't needed immediately, and was successful, and then it froze.
2. It booted up normally, and then froze.
3. It turned on, but the screen was black.
All three tries I pressed the F8 key repeatedly.

This morning I messed with it once, but had to run.
It went to a blue screen that offered several options to choose from, the first one was SAFE MODE, and the last one was DEBUGGING.
I chose SAFE MODE, and it froze after going through the windows sound chime, the intel pentium 4 screen, and then it went black again.

That is the only computer I have at home that I can access the internet at the moment, so I have to give you all of this info when I get to work.

My other laptop has issues as well, which I will seek help with later.

Thank you for all your work. I am on the road, but well get back to you as soon as I get to a better computer.

New Screen

Stop 0x00000050
page fault IM non paged area
Address 804305DD base at 80400000
Date Stamp 42258bf7-ntoskcml.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back