TechSpot

Omnidirectional "treadmill" lets you run through your favorite games

By Rick
Jun 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Using Kickstarter to help fund the project, Virtuix hopes to take virtual reality to the next level with Omni, an omnidirectional "treadmill". The company's innovative 360-degree base translates real-world steps into in-game motion as gamers walk and run their way through...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,147   +737

I think it'd be impossible to run in that thing. Slow jog maybe, but nothing that would require you to lift your knees. Not that it matters... you'd only need to jog to get your character to go full speed most likely. That's nit-picking though.. this looks pretty cool, and it'll probably be a huge hit at arcades.

At any rate, at least the kids of the future won't have to listen to their mothers nagging them to go outside and get some exercise.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,337   +806

Apart from their video games, it seems that kids of today don't know anything about the games us older folk used to play as kids ourselves. Hell some of them don't even believe we used to crank down our car windows manually.

ETF Soldier likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,243   +1,549

Thats a cool invention!
    Great for a rainy day, other than that I'd rather walk in the park.

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

Cool stuff. I dont see this being a fad until the Oculus sheds some weight.

6. cliffordcooley

Yeah, I don't fancy wearing a tablet four inches in front of my face.

7. Classified1

Classified1 TS Rookie Posts: 55

I see great things coming in the future.

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

Yeah, I hope they can thin it down.

9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

If I can get the whole kit (with a commercial Oculus Rift) for under $1500 I'm all in. This is very exciting for me. Might even be worth getting two kits so my kids/wife can play too.

10. cliffordcooley

Why you selfish dog you. LOL

I think I should mention that was a joke. :)
    Sorry LNCPapa, I couldn't resist.

11. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 548   +149

Ok.... now jump! :p

12. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 417   +40

This is very exciting... still a ways to go but an encouraging start. This might be the first kickstarter project that I actually donate money to. There are still a lot of mechanics and stuff to figure out, considering each game is different. Yes they all have walk and run, but as mentioned above how do you jump, or crouch, or even go prone as in many games support. This certainly won't be a full on virtual reality as we all imagine and want it to be, but simply virtual walking/running.

The gun thing though is probably going to be impossible to come up with a solution for. It can't simulate muzzle climb and recoil, reloading mags or cartridges, working the action, etc. It would probably just end up being a crude pointing device for your gun in the game, and thats it. Makes your brain think about the possible solutions though.

13. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

Thank you for publishing this article.

Now that they have so much money, they should have no problem reaching volume manufacturing.

My only concern - in the video when talking about height adjustment they point at the base that uses bolts. This won't be practical when the device is intended for more than one user and height adjustment is to be done with ease and in seconds.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  14. cliffordcooley

They did mention in the video, that was a prototype and the actual release would use some type of pins for easy adjustments.

VitalyT likes this.
  15. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 461   +83

They could change the waist support to be springs or something which allows more vertical movement for things like running and jumping.

Honestly this is really weird but it could lead a whole new revival of PC games where you have actual real body motion control of what you are doing in game. For example the looking around corners etc.
    Also opens up a new frontier of if you are actually fit irl and can run fast you might do better in the game!
    Combining fitness and fun! I think its a damn good idea.

16. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

They already have a video on Kickstarter where they show both running and jumping in this thing. Either way, this is just the beginning, and by the look of there being no shortage of backers, this direction may see a bright future...

17. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 288   +50

I would gladly play a shooter while doing some physical activity for a while; I don't have much time to play as of lately, but that time would "kill two birds with a single-shot" [is that expression translated like that? I don't know if it's used there]. I walk a lot in my travels between campus-home (1-3 hours a day) and would certainly like some walk without the melting heat of summer.

18. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I'm sooo there...

My only fear is getting tangled in the cords and yanking the PC off the counter.

19. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

With part of the device looking like a baby trainer, I see apple patenting the first iCrib.

MrAnderson likes this.
  20. How will run the dog?

21. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

1. It looks like it's getting there, but It'll need a lot of options to be tailored to each individual. For example, the shoes. Assuming they work how they should, it still wouldn't work for some people that know that's not how to properly run. You're not supposed to bring all of your weight down on your heel like that.

2. I hope it has a bigger base that allows you to easily jump. It doesn't look like there is enough room for a full sprint, and the non-adjustable base probably wouldn't let the user jump.

3. The Oculus Rift also hopefully gets smaller and high resolution.

But I'm sure most of these will get worked out during development. This project will probably take a lot more work before it is actually ready. I wouldn't buy it until it is perfect though, because they'd probably release the first one as a type of trial run, then perfect it with the second generation model.

22. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,356   +283

I'll buy both - gotta give them enough resources to make a second version.

23. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,293   +547

Playing Battlefield with that...

That would be the greatest gaming experience ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SIGN ME UP ON THE WAITING LIST
    [​IMG]

24. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

This thing won't be popular until they implement the crucial feature of allowing the user to teabag.

25. Elian

Elian TS Member

Looks pretty nice.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.