Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case

I'm not too tech proficient, but I'm getting better, and decided to tackle my biggest challenge so far.

I took everything out of a Gateway PC, replaced the PSU and put everything back into a new full tower case.

Everything works great except the audio. Here is the problem and details:

I only have an onboard audio card. The new case has a headphone jack on the front that connects to the "audio" pin connection on the bottom of the motherboard. I connected this.

After reassembling, the audio jack on the rear of the case on the motherboard I/O panel does not produce sound. HOWEVER, the headphone jack on the front DOES produce sound.

I'm a little puzzled because that would seem to imply the motherboard is fine.

Does the I/0 panel audio ports run off of dedicated power, or a specific power cord that I might have placed in the wrong place or backwards?

Any other ideas?

Followup question. THere is something wrong with the front headphone jack (maybe a manufacturer defect) that is causing the left speaker to crackle and be less loud. almost like a bad speaker, but I tested for that.

In the case I took everything out of there was a single AUDIO pin connection from the front panel to the motherboard. But on the new case the AUDIO pin connection had an additional identically sized pin connection coming off of it about 1" from the AUDIO pin connection. It had some numbers on it like a voltage rating or something (unsure).. I just left it hang loose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MORE INFO:
Opened realtek HD Audio manager program

When I plug the jack into the back I/O panel the corresponding area on the diagram does light up and recognize. However no sound is produced when testing.

Hi, If you replaced all the cables as they were then you should have no trouble.
The front panels are in 2 groups. The USB sockets are 1 group with a cable that runs over to the motherboard.
The front panel audio board has 2 cables that run from it to a single free socket, and that plugs onto a connector on the motherboard that has 5 pins in one row and 4 pins on the other row, with one pin empty.
But I would think it's more likely the problem is the settings in Windows.
Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, choose 'playback devices', and if your speakers are plugged into the back of the pc, you should see them in the list. They should have a green tick over the speakers.
If not, right click on the speaker line, and choose 'enable', that should put the sound signals onto the socket where your external speakers are connected to.
* Might also be worth testing that your external speakers are working by plugging them into something you know works, such as a mp3 player, mobile, or tape player output. It's possible the speakers are not getting power. (Power LED on one speaker).
*Also check for muted audio in Windows, and the 'on/vol' control on the actual speakers.

The front panel audio board has 2 cables that run from it to a single free socket, and that plugs onto a connector on the motherboard that has 5 pins in one row and 4 pins on the other row, with one pin empty.
This also had an additional pin connection coming off of it like a "Y". It would not reach to any corresponding connection and my original case did not have it. I am kind of assuming it has something to do with surround sound or something. But I let it hang. Either way...it's coming from the front panel so I don't see how that could cause a problem with the I/O panel.
The connector you describe is connected in the proper place.

But I would think it's more likely the problem is the settings in Windows.
Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, choose 'playback devices', and if your speakers are plugged into the back of the pc, you should see them in the list. They should have a green tick over the speakers.
They are listed and checked. When I plug them in I also get a notification that a new audio device has been plugged in. They are definitely recognized.

Might also be worth testing that your external speakers
I did test. They work.

Please note....the real crux of my confusion is that these speakers play sound from the headphone jack on the front of the computer but not from the I/O speaker jack on the back. What could cause this?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, If the audio worked before with the motherboard in the old case, assume it did, then the problem must be caused by the transfer of board to the new case.
I would check in the BIOS that the integrated audio is 'on'.
That the input (3,5mm) lead to the external speakers is in the green socket on rear panel.
The speakers have green tick over them in 'sounds'/'playback devices'. Headphones not selected instead of rear speakers?
The vol level is at about 30.
The 4 or 6 'stand-offs' are fitted under the motherboard, spacing it away from the case.
Any sound?

After reassembling, the audio jack on the rear of the case on the motherboard I/O panel does not produce sound. HOWEVER, the headphone jack on the front DOES produce sound.

that means, there is an option to switch the rear audio ports off that has been triggered. it can be on the software side (typical for Realtek HD Audio) or on the hardware side. for the software you can head to Realtek HD Audio Control Panel and look for folder icon on the right top corner and check or uncheck "disable front panel jack detection".

for the hardware side, remember there are 2 types of audio header in pc case. one is AC97 and another is HD Audio. HD Audio is the latest version. both uses different pinout and if your old case is using AC97 and your new one is HD audio that might be one of the problem.

fp_pins.jpg

now, for either of this, it may shipped with additional jumper on two rows of pins like this:
imageview.php

depending on your configuration, you may or may not need that jumper. two cases which I bought in 2006 and 2011 requires removal of that jumper by simply cutting off that pair of wires.

now you got the idea why that jumper exist, it is required for the "front panel detection" so when you plug your headphone the rear speaker will mute. unfortunately, I cant seem to have it working in two of my cases that I decided to just cut it off and let front and rear audio ports output audio simultaneously, just like you want it to be.

Hi, If it's any help, this photo of the front panel leads onto the motherboard.
Also the unused plug which I taped to the case.
The board is a 2004 ish Biostar, but the case is a Fujitsu Scaleo 600, and has front panel USB and mic headphone sockets.
The sound is using the on-board 'integrated' sound, and output is via the normal green socket on back panel.biostar_mbrd.jpg

Back