TechSpot

Onboard audio problems

By mwilsonf
Oct 20, 2008
  1. Hello, I've been having audio problems for a LONG time and everytime I reformat or reinstall windows I have to reinstall different things to get audio. Before my last reinstallation, I was messing around in the device manager when I had no sound, Selected AC'97 something and restarted and had sound, It worked nicely, I have this button on my keyboard that mutes it when I press it and a little ( \ ) goes over the speaker symbol (never happened before). I know it was onboard audio because that's the only thing my headset was plugged into. Anyways, I've reinstalled windows again and cannot seem to find what I was looking for to get sound again, I've searched and just can't find anything. I went into bios and put enabled as the audio thing (I think it said enable ac'97 audio codec), I tried it on enabled then I tried it on auto and neither worked. I just want to use my audio sound and anyone that would help me get it back would be awesome.

Thank you :)

2. turbo1

turbo1 TS Maniac Posts: 360

Hi mwilsonf,

do you get any error message?

and what is that you cant find?

a button or something?

3. mwilsonf

mwilsonf TS Rookie Topic Starter

What I want is sound, The only way I know how to get it is through onboard. I want to know how I cna figure out what onboard card I have and then get it to work? Cause I plug stuff into the onboard sound slot thingy and sound doesnt work.

What I did last time, was click update drivers on something in the audio section of the device panel, clicked manually find the drivers myself, then unclicked the show compatible box, I then clicked some random thing with AC'97 in it (There were quite a few of them, now there is only 1 and it doesn't work) and I can't find them to do it again.. the screen I am talking about is

[​IMG]

as you can see to the left is my failure compiliation of downloading random drivers but bleh, I don't really know anything and I just want sound.

4. mwilsonf

Need 5 posts to post image.

5. mwilsonf

Need 5 posts to post image..

6. mwilsonf

post 5!11111

7. turbo1

you havent installed your sound drivers yet.
    do you still have the CD that comes with your motherboard?

if you're unsure what sound driver you have:

please click start > Run,then type dxdiag.hit enter.

on the Dxdiagnostic screen,at the lower part,click "save all informations".

a report will be generated into notepad,save it to your desktop.

please attach the result in your next reply.

8. mwilsonf

i have no cd that came with my motherboard

9. turbo1

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.