TechSpot

Onboard graphics detected not graphics card

By Syaoran Li
Jun 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey everyone.... How r u all??? Nice to meet u all..... ^_^
    well my friend bought a laptop it has on board graphics and also a additional nvidia graphics... now when I run game the on board graphics card is getting detected and not the nvidia card.. I tried in bios but in the display part there are only 2 options 1 is optimus whic allows bot nvidia vga and intel vga to work and the other one allows only the intel vga to work... so is there a way to make games recognise nvidia or can I disable onboard graphics through device manager??
    laptop model: lenovo ideapad z570
    graphics card: Nvidia geforce gt 540m
    and one more thing...In one of the game I checked PES 2012 it shows as its using onboard graphics.. and I tried arkham city and tried enabling hardware acceleration physx but it said the laptops hardware doesnt support it....
    one more thing I just went to nvidia control panel and in there 3d settings and there global settings its written there preferred graphics processor is integrated graphics.. and I couldnt change it.....​
    can I disable the onboard graphics card in device manager???
    thanks....

2. mike1959

mike1959 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,016   +51

Hi , The option is the one where the nvidia card and intel on-board are shown, and the BIOS should select the nvidia card as priority if it can, and has a choice.
    It's sometimes known as 'Primary Video' & the option is called PEG.
    Make sure you save the settings when you exit or they won't be changed from before.