TechSpot

Onboard sound blown and no slots for a card

By waxdart
Sep 15, 2009
  1. Hi. During a recent thunder storm my sound just stopped working. The PC is protected by a surge protector and nothing seemed fried, in fact all else works. I trouble shot the sound setup and found the speakers i have still work with an IPOD plugged directly in to the woofer but the onboard sound (the green jack i plug my speaker cable into) will not output any sound. I plugged some working earphones directly in to the green jack to no avail. Is there a way of either testing further or repairing the onboard sound?

The reason I ask is that only the small PCI-Express slot is vacant and that is blocked by the video card. The only other option is to free up a larger PCI slot currently housing an IDE conversion card used to carry info from my C:\ HDD, and my DVD drives. Which then means caving in and buying new SATA DVD drives and also a SATA HDD and re-installing windows. There must be an easier way…

specs:
    Windows: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    Memory (RAM): 3072 MB
    CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
    CPU Speed: 1858.4 MHz
    Sound card: Realtek HD Audio output
    Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
    Network Adapters: Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300N
    CD / DVD Drives: F: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1612 | G: HL-DT-STDVDRAM
    BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 11/27/06 | A M I - 11000627
    Motherboard: ConRoe945G-DVI

Many thanks, WD

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

3. waxdart

waxdart TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Tmagic. I like the cheap solution in the short term. However one of the reviews of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-020-_-Product says it doens't work with Itunes which would be a problem and, as it's software driven, and uses up memory slowing down gaming. It's definitely a workaround but can I fix the onboard sound or test it further?
    thanks, WD

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

I have used this on several XP machines with iTunes installed, and I have had no problems. It is possible that the on-board audio driver is corrupt. You could try reinstalling it

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.