Onboard sound blown and no slots for a card

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxdart

Hi. During a recent thunder storm my sound just stopped working. The PC is protected by a surge protector and nothing seemed fried, in fact all else works. I trouble shot the sound setup and found the speakers i have still work with an IPOD plugged directly in to the woofer but the onboard sound (the green jack i plug my speaker cable into) will not output any sound. I plugged some working earphones directly in to the green jack to no avail. Is there a way of either testing further or repairing the onboard sound?

The reason I ask is that only the small PCI-Express slot is vacant and that is blocked by the video card. The only other option is to free up a larger PCI slot currently housing an IDE conversion card used to carry info from my C:\ HDD, and my DVD drives. Which then means caving in and buying new SATA DVD drives and also a SATA HDD and re-installing windows. There must be an easier way…

specs:
Windows: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Memory (RAM): 3072 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
CPU Speed: 1858.4 MHz
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio output
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Network Adapters: Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter WMP300N
CD / DVD Drives: F: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1612 | G: HL-DT-STDVDRAM
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 11/27/06 | A M I - 11000627
Motherboard: ConRoe945G-DVI

Many thanks, WD

I have used this on several XP machines with iTunes installed, and I have had no problems. It is possible that the on-board audio driver is corrupt. You could try reinstalling it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back