One core running at maximum capacity

By Hodsocks
Dec 12, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a query about a pc with a athlon II x2 240 processor running Win 7, occasionally a message pops up in the system tray saying one core of the processor is almost at maximum capacity, this can happen at any time.
    Whenever I go into task manager to see what is using the processor everything appears to be fine.
    Any of you guys any ideas as to what might be causing the problem.
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

I have never seen any kind of message like this before. Could the computer be infected with a virus or spy-ware?
  3. Polah

Polah TS Rookie

Snap. I've never seen nor heard of any operating system giving an actual warning when CPU usage is high. RAM usage yes, but not CPU usage.

Definitely run a scan for any viruses of malware that you may have, especially seeing as when you check it's not high.
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

What Dustin/Polah said. a core being fully utilized is not something you should get a message for. Is this message in the system tray associated with any program or monitor software you have installed?
  5. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 370

Nope this is a new pc I built which just has the basic programs installed, no monitoring software installed.Coincidentally he is having problems with the onboard sound being intermittent but I am sure there is no connection.