One final decision

By CptFarnsworth
Jun 11, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok. I ahev narrowed down my options for a graphics card update. My motherboard has both PCI and PCI-E X1 slots. The PCI card I am looking at supports DX10, and seems to be able to run most of the games I am looking at. The PCI-E X1 card is $100, when the PCI card is only $65. The PCI-E card also only supports up to DX9. Heres the links to both of the cards. Please let me know your opinion on which is the better buy.
    P.S.-I'm also not sure if my 230W PSU can support the PCI-E card.

PCI-E X1 card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161197

PCI card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131082
  2. CptFarnsworth

CptFarnsworth Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 45

Anyone have any suggestions?
  3. Whiffen

Whiffen Newcomer, in training Posts: 323

I would go for the PCI card. The directX10 is a nice feature but for such a cheap card it will only be good for Vista and HD movies. I wouldn't start thinking you could play Crysis or really any other game in higher then DX9. BTW, get the mail in rebate for that card when u get it, it will end up costing you 45$ in the end which is a pretty nice deal.
  4. CptFarnsworth

The PCI card is the one with DX10. The PCI-E one only has DX9. I'm a bit confused, lol. Oh, I read that that rebate is ridiculously long/tedious.
  5. CptFarnsworth

6. Whiffen

Whiffen Newcomer, in training Posts: 323

Oh, I still meant for you to get the PCI card, but I was saying the dx10 on it is a nice feature but you might not need it. Never the less it is still the better choice of the two.

Sorry if I missed the chance, I know this post is a bit old now. The AGP card looks fine to, but the PCI one is a bit better.
  7. teklord

teklord TechSpot Maniac Posts: 523

If you are going PCI, get the Albatron 8600 GT direct from Albatron via the website. AGP, Newegg has a 3850 IceQ for like around $200 that looks like close to the best if not the best you will find for AGP.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.