One half of screen is out of sync

Austin Morrison

I have a HP DV6-6128ca. I just recently discovered an issue I have never noticed before, the two halves of my screen are not in sync. I notice it the most when I am watching a video, and the camera pans or has a lot of movement, straight down the center of my screen (doesn't matter where the video is) you can see the two halves out of sync, it looks like when you're playing games and do not have vertical sync on. I have tried to uninstall Spyder, MacType, and all of my video card drivers, I am just at a loss now. I have the AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series
and AMD Radeon HD 6520G
drivers installed.

I asked the mods to move your thread to the Audio/Video forum. Perhaps somewhere in this forum can help.

Here's a "bump" for your thread. Good luck!

From what I've been able to find it is a problem when the computer powers off the display while idling. It's said that changing when the display turns off in power options fixes the problem. It's also said that uninstalling the drivers and installing the updated ones from HP's website fixes the problem

Source

Problem still persists. I wouldn't call it a "flicker" though, it's more or less the top right corner of my screen, give or take 700x580 pixels big that's out of sync.

Only thing I can think of is did you do a clean install of the drivers? I'll look around on the net some more see if I can find something for you, check back tomorrow.

I have installed three different drivers after completely uninstalling them. One's from the HP website, from Windows Update, as well as AMD official ones. I can connect perfectly to an external display, no problem there. I haven't noticed the box on it, even when I use it as a primary monitor, although I will take a closer look when I get home in an hour or so.

Yeah, no problem with external.

Is Vsync on in games? It wont fix the box from being out of sync but it should fix the black flicker. I'd like you to try one more thing. If you have an HDMI cable and an HDMI compatible display plug it in. I'm afraid it may need to be serviced by HP. I would say it has a damaged GPU but I've never experienced a problem such as this. My hope with the HDMI cable is that since it is a digital signal instead of analog that the problem will either manifest it self differently or go away. This is under the assumption that your laptop's display runs over VGA. This does not sound like a problem physically wrong with the GPU but more of a software problem. Something else just occurred to me, what is the refresh rate set at?

Well I was playing SCP, so there are no advanced settings. I will check with other games momentarily.
I am on a laptop, so hooking up my monitor doesn't exactly work...
It says it's at 60hz, and no other options are available.
I don't think the problem would be with a faulty card, because it doesn't crash or anything, just out of sync with the rest.

Seeing as how I have not been able to provide you with any help my final recommendation is to use an older driver or reinstall windows. In all the googling I've done it was fixed by either a driver update or a change in power settings.

[LEFT][FONT=arial]From what I understand this is a common problem with the dv6 line. As far as I can tell[/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial] it occurs when the system idles and subsequently shuts down the display[/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]. I played around a bit this evening to try and recreate the issue, and that (as far as I can tell) is the only situation where this problem arises. I [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]disabled the auto shut off display in power options[/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial], and then closed the lid of my unit and it did [/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial]not[/FONT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=arial] re-occur. I also noticed that, while the issue was occurring, unplugging the unit from the power supply eliminated the problem...but once I plugged back in it came back. Connecting the display to my HDTV through HDMI also corrected the problem temporarily, but of course returned after disconnecting from the external display source. Restarting the computer is the only thing that clears it up, until the display automatically shuts down again.[/FONT][/LEFT]

It's from a link I posted above, but I'll post it again

SOURCE

Back