one internet connection, 2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,
i just recently moved into a new home where there was already a computer hooked up through a modem from sbcyahoo, which i also have a modem for, but my question is how do you get internet access to both computers through the one connection?

Wait okay; I’m having troubles with this. So from the wall, it goes into the modem and then from the modem it connects directly to the computer, correct (see first attachment)? If so, then all you must do is buy a hub and connect the wire from the modem to the hub instead, from the hub you should be able to plug in your computer (see second attachment).

Attachments

• connect-to-modem.JPG
    connect-to-modem.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 7
  • connect-to-modem-to-hub.JPG
    connect-to-modem-to-hub.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 8
Or get a Network card and LAN it.

Computer connected to Internet will need to be on for 2nd PC to access Internet.

I use the Broadband Router myself, Tedster, the Wireless Linksys Broadband Router to be correct. But I’m curious, does yours go Internet (wall outlet, cable, etc) to Modem then to Router? I’m lost when it comes to anything Internet related, really…

Lynne

You don't need a lot of expensive equipment. All you need is a crossover cable. You can go through your host computer to reach the network. It's a lot cheaper than investing in a router.

Exactly what I said.

Here in Western Australia, U can get a PCI Ethernet card fot $12
Perhaps 3Pounds?

Cable is cheap as anything, sold per metre.

That is by far the easiest way.

Run the "Network Connection Wizard" on both PC's,
You can't go wrong!

Yes i would just network them. That way you can share files over the 2 computers and a ethernet card is probably cheaper than a HUB.

Akio said:
I use the Broadband Router myself, Tedster, the Wireless Linksys Broadband Router to be correct. But I’m curious, does yours go Internet (wall outlet, cable, etc) to Modem then to Router? I’m lost when it comes to anything Internet related, really…
I have a simple linksys 3 port broadband router. A router is a switching device you have to have a modem. modem-router-computer(s)

It's not hard to set up, in fact, windows self-programs it for the most part once you install the drivers.

I also use my router for VoiP telephone service. The router has two phone ports in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back