One of my drives showing up as RAW filesystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

I don't know what happened or why it did it, but one of my HDDs is showing up as having a RAW filesystem and is no longer accessible. I can't explore the drive, I can't chkdsk it, I can't access it in any way.

The only thing I can think of is that I plugged my Xbox 360 HDD into my computer through SATA, but I just can't see how that would affect it because the 360 HDD doesn't show up as a drive in My Computer.

Anyway, I've tried a program called TestDisk, with a little bit of hope. In My Computer the drive (I:) shows up as Local Disk (I:), the disk is actually named "Kelly 087" (don't ask why, I'm a a Halo nerd). The program TestDisk can actually see that original name while the OS can't. However, I tried rewriting the proper filesystem structure to the disk using this program and it doesn't seem to work.

The files on this disk are important, but not so much that life would end if I were to lose them. I'd rather not format if I don't have to, but I COULD get the data back if I had to, it's all stored on my server.

Anyways, please, save me a TON of time redownloading all that data and help me get this disk back. I'll love you forever!

Ah, Thank you for your reply. I think I figured out the problem though.

I opened up my computer case and took a look at my harddrives. I guess when I was unplugging the SATA power from one of my SATA drives to use for the 360 HDD, I accidentally partially unplugged one of the Molex connectors for my 200GB IDE drive, which is on the same ribbon as the 40GB. I'm thinking what happened was the 200GB drive wasn't getting enough power to fully spin up, causing errors further down the chain.

Either way, thank you for your reply, but I restarted my computer, the I: drive did a chkdsk, and all is working well now. I have access again to both my 200GB drive and my 40GB drive.

I hate external HDDs...I hate external anything. The only reason I have an external HD-DVD drive is because it looks cool on my desktop. I'll take my chances with this, I just knew it wasn't this drive's time to go, so I knew I could fix it. If anything I'll probably back up on my server, since I know that's safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back