One router, multipe real IPs, multiple server boxes - setup network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a little help if someone would be so kind, because I'm a bit out of my normal depth with this.

I'm putting together a small home network (well, I guess large compared to some!), where I have three desktops connected to my router by wireless. I also have a CentOS/Apache/ISPConfig server box, and a WinServer2k8/IIS server box. My intention is to connect both of these servers to the router in such a way that each has it's own 'real' IP. Registered domain names would then be pointed at either the IP of the Apache server or the IIS server, and so the router would deliver the traffic to the appropriate box according to which IP the domain is pointed at.

To those ends, I've purchased a block of IP addresses from my ISP. Having just called them, I've been instructed that the IP block I've bought are my internal IP addresses, and that once I've set them up on the router in this way, they should work.

I've never actually done this before, and my networking experience doesn't really stretch past the very basics of home networking, and so I have very little idea of what kind of options I need to use to set this up on the router - there are things in there that are more advanced than I understand. Could anybody please point me in the right direction?

Regular SOHO routers such as a linksys will not let you manage multiple static IP's. You will need an enterprise class VPN/firewall/router such as a Sonicwall to do that. I assume you want one IP for your web server, one for FTP and so on.. all pointing to different servers/nics. I would suggest a Sonicwall Pro 2040 or Pro 3060. I've seen both on ebay (used) for a reasonable price (around $300). Keep in mind these boxes go for about $1500 to $2000 and up (retail). There are other products from other vendors such as Cisco which will be significantly more. You will need a router in bridge mode (or a bridge) between your WAN connection and the Sonicwall. A regular linksys may suffice for this. There may be other solutions to this but this is one.

No... I'm not really going that far. Services on each server will be port based... They're two seperate standalone server boxes, and I intend to use domain name based virtual hosting on each box with a dedicated IP for each box - so just 2 IPs. We also have a domain controller standing by, but it's not been configured yet.

assuming a single IP connection (ie you have one modem)
the ISP can alias your domain/ip-addresses to your connection
and then you add static routes:
Code:
isp ==> aliased IP-addresses
	===> aa.bb.cc.dd => server#1
	===> bb.cc.dd.ee => server#2
	===> cc.dd.ee.ff   => server#4
	everything else is normal LAN routing using DHCP connections
each server must connect to the gateway router (ie the one connected to the modem).

each server could have a static address (as config'd on each) and a fixed gateway of the gateway router

Issue: this would be poor in performance for someone like Google, but a small home setup would be reasonable.

question: Why multiple static address when you don't have multiple ISP connections?

With port based fowarding (ftp 20,21 => serverA, http =>serverB ...)
one domain name/IP address would suffice
eg:
Code:
http:// my.domain.com         goes to your webserver
ftp:// my.domain.com         access ftp using the browser
 ftp my.domain.com         and running straight ftp does too
Guess I'm dense, but I see no benefit for static IP addresses w/o unique ISP connections

question: Why multiple static address when you don't have multiple ISP connections?

It may well be that I didn't understand what you were explaining, but...

... basically it's because we need to use the same ports on each machine (eg, both servers need to use port 80 for http), and we need to router to point traffic from different domain names to different machines, where we're using virtual hosting.

Never mind the router question.... just bought a Zyxel Prestige 660HW-61 for £26 including postage, which has either multinat or one-to-one nat... which much searching has informed me is what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back